Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DefSport 12.2" Wilwood Kit - Group Buy Round 3!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefSport 12.2" Wilwood Kit - Group Buy Round 3!!!

I have all the machined bits en route to me at the moment, so I'm posting this to take interest, and gauge interest on upgrades.

Base kit will come with:

-DefSport hard anodized aluminum hats and brackets
    -Full hardware kit to install everything (nuts, bolts, washers)
    -Wilwood Forged Superlite calipers (1.62" pistons, great balance with Z32 rears and Z32 master cylinder)
    -Wilwood Medium duty 32-vane 12.2" x 1.25" rotors
    -Wilwood BP-10 street pads

Pricing for this will be $940 (kit) + $40 shipping in the lower 48 states. Since inevitably people compare the price to the much higher consumable cost Wilwood kit for 240SX's, this gives a direct comparison. The Wilwood line kit will be $60 (no additional shipping when you order a kit obviously).

So total pricing with line kit is $940 (kit) + $40 shipping + $60 line kit = $1060 shipped with the above.

My thoughts are to sell everything as a complete kit, but also offer a limited custom touch that you get with a smaller operation. With that in mind, here are the primary options I'm considering:

1. Medium duty or Heavy duty rotors - same size, but heavier duty rotors have more vanes and thicker faces. This is recommended for higher HP cars that see heavy track time. (cost increase +$120/kit)

2. Wilwood BP-10 pads exchanged for Hawk DTC-60 (+$90/kit). I'm considering adding a few more pad options, but I don't want to get it too varied because the pricing will get out of hand. I was considering a dual duty Hawk DTC-30 option, and maybe a Polymatrix J - but I don't have experience with them.

3. The big one - Billet 6 piston Superlites in place of Forged Superlites. These offer a slightly better piston area, and a staggered piston diameter, which virtually eliminates pad taper. This upgrade cost could vary anywhere from +$380/kit to $300/kit. To hit the $300/kit cost, I'd need 12 people to confirm and pay for the kit with the BSL6's. I realize that's a tall order, but I'm essentially passing on my Wilwood distributor discount to you guys for ordering in bulk. These calipers use the same pads and offer similar wheel fitment.

As for fitment, the caliper has very close to the same spoke clearance as a Z32 caliper, but is obviously spaced out about 0.6" farther due to the larger rotor.

More fitment information:

The distance from the outboard surface of the stock spindle caliper ears to outer surface of the caliper (i.e. stick a tape measure to the caliper ear surface after you take off your brakes) is 4.34" to the outside of the caliper. The very outer radius of the caliper (centerline of hub bore to outer edge of caliper) is 6.85".

So if your wheel has an ID where the caliper sits of 14" or over, you're good on clearance there, and you can measure how much spoke clearance you've got.

What I'm looking for from other people is at least a rough idea of what you're interested in, and how many people are interested. I have quite a few kits incoming, but I'll probably order a chunk of Wilwood parts at a time unless I get orders up front so I that don't have to keep a ton of brake hardware in stock.

If I can get a group of people interested in a common upgrade, then I can try to work on getting the pricing down a bit due to the volume.
    Last edited by Def; 07-16-2013, 06:58 AM. Reason: Updated with more detailed fitment info
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Any weight difference to the 6pot calipers? I recall you saying these were much lighter than an AL z32 setup?

Might be interested this time around...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Any chance of offering just the bracket/hat/hardware kit as before for those who may already have a set of calipers laying around?

Comment

How is the brake balance going to be with OEM S14 rear brakes and master cylinder?

Also can I get either a second set of hats or hats with friction rings on them? Changing friction rings at the track bites.

Do the lines have "correct" fittings on each end without adapters (SAE for caliper and metric for the car)?
        winhpde.com

Comment

Originally posted by minspd View Post
          Also can I get either a second set of hats or hats with friction rings on them? Changing friction rings at the track bites.
          This is what I was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
            Any weight difference to the 6pot calipers? I recall you saying these were much lighter than an AL z32 setup?

Might be interested this time around...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
            6 pot and 4 pot calipers are basically the same weight. Wilwood quotes it at 0.6 lbs difference, so maybe the difference between full brake pads and worn ones.

Overall weight per corner with the medium duty disks and no pads is 16-17 lbs (caliper included). The Z32 aluminum stuff is around 28 lbs IIRC with a new rotor (no pads) (~21 lb rotor, 7 lb caliper).

I do have an idea for a lighter weight autox setup that still uses 12.2" rotors and probably Dynapros. There'd be a little more wait on it as I'd need to get more stuff machined, but I think I could offer it for <$1200 and it'd be 11 lbs per corner minus pads if I could get at least a few guys interested. I could get a couple of pounds lighter with a new kit, but I'd need 10 people interested.

Comment

Originally posted by minspd View Post
              How is the brake balance going to be with OEM S14 rear brakes and master cylinder?

Do the lines have "correct" fittings on each end without adapters (SAE for caliper and metric for the car)?
              Honestly, Z32 rears work better. The S14 rear with Altima rotors and the stock BMC isn't horrible, but it's still more front biased than stock. The next step down in piston size of 1.38" is not a good match for the stock BMC. I'll say you can probably get things in check with an aggressive rear pad and a moderate front pad, but a high friction track pad and moderate rear pad will be very front biased.

The 1.63" pistons are just a hair larger than the Z32 stock piston sizes, so you'll also have a bit of a soft pedal with stock S14 brakes.

The 6 piston Billet Superlites have slightly less piston area than the 1.63" FSL, so they'll work better. But at that point I'd recommend going Z32 rears. Or even better.. both .

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                This is what I was thinking.
                Yep, you guys can buy as many hats and rotor rings as you want.

I'll break that out as a separate cost.

Comment

I'm sure I will have Z32 rears and master eventually, just gathering info at this point.

What about my lines question?
                  winhpde.com

Comment

Sorry, didn't see that.

I'm not 100% sure what the lineset includes, but I imagine it uses adapters. Honestly, I've never seen a male NPT fitting on the end of the line, and it'd be impossible to remove just that fitting with it installed. So I'm not sure why it's a negative in this case, as the alternative is "bad mechanical design."

Comment

This is what I am talking about: http://949racing.com/wilwood-miata-brake-lines.aspx
                      winhpde.com

Comment

You realize you just posted a line with one metric end, then an AN fitting and an NPT to AN adapter on the other end, don't you?
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Clearly not. But I think it routes better than the previous lines I had on the car.
                          winhpde.com

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                            Honestly, Z32 rears work better. The S14 rear with Altima rotors and the stock BMC isn't horrible, but it's still more front biased than stock.
                            I agree with this. Dont know if the auto brake booster helps me, but my stock BMC is working just fine with the altima setup. Pedal feel really didnt change much at all, but you'll notice the car is front biased.
                            97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

Originally posted by icantdrift View Post
                              Any chance of offering just the bracket/hat/hardware kit as before for those who may already have a set of calipers laying around?
                              I'd really rather not price things completely a la carte, as it's just too much of a hassle since I'm pricing everything below street prices as a bundle. So letting people pick 1 component they don't want to buy just makes it way more of a pain in the butt logistics wise than you'd think (I know I didn't think it was that bad before I did 20+ orders, then it became bad!).

Comment

Working...
                              X