Brackets for 350Z Track Rotors and Wilwood Superlites - Batch #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brackets for 350Z Track Rotors and Wilwood Superlites - Batch #3

PLEASE NOTE: Current bracket pricing is $185/set plus shipping.

Group Buy List

9/2 UPDATE: I plan to close the GB on 9/11 unless it looks like we'll have more people coming in. Even so, I want to get the ball rolling so you get them as soon as possible.

davinci - 1 pair - silviav8forums - S13
    paintkilz - 1 pair - silviav8forums - S13
    TurboGoKart - 1 pair - silviav8forums - S13
    indeed - 2 pairs - silviav8forums - S14
    Torfeo - 1 pair - NissanRoadRacing - S13
    blueshark123 - 1 pair - silviav8forums - S-chassis?
    dgz32 - 1 pair - Z31performance - Z31
    DavidA - 1 pair - Z31performance - Z31
    springerc69 - 1 pair - Z31performance - Z31
    Chad - 1 pair - Z31performance - Z31

Overview

These brackets will allow you to use a 350Z Track rotors with Wilwood Superlite 4- or 6-piston calipers on the front of an S-chassis, 350/370Z, or G35/G37. They were designed by me, manufactured in the United States by a small business, and the little profit I make goes right back into my car. The finish is a Type III Class 2 hard anodize finish that increases both scratch and chemical resistance over a "normal" Type II anodize and meets military spec MIL-A-8625 (for the aviation / racing parts guys).

Pricing

9/2 UPDATE: We have surpassed the 10 pair mark. Price will be $140 shipped in the continental U.S.

Unfortunately, this has increased somewhat since the last run. The cost also depends on how many I order:
    1-9 pairs will be $155 shipped each
    10-24 pairs will be $140 shipped each
    25-49 pairs will be $130 shipped each

Background

I ran Wilwood 11.75" diameter (298mm), 1.25" thick (32mm) rotors in a 2-piece hat design on my S13 "racecar." After about a year of not driving the car and thinking about my goals for it, I decided I wanted to get away from 2-piece rotors. While they are baller and save a bunch of weight, the safety-wire aspect makes them unattractive for me. The other primary motivator was that I wanted to use a larger diameter rotor with more mass, which gets VERY expensive with 2-piece designs. As an example: 12.9", 1.1" thick Wilwood 2-piece rotors that come in the S14 kit are $180 EACH to replace. At a minimum, and not including shipping. To compare, I can get a pair of 350Z Track rotors to my door for around $170.

Advantages
    1. Ability to run Off-The-Shelf (OTS), readily available rotors.
    2. Wilwood Superlite calipers are affordable, easy to find used, and super easy to rebuild compared to Z32 calipers.
    3. Superlite caliper pad cost is usually lower than Z32 pad costs, due to manufacturing volumes. When I looked a year ago, I found the following:
      _____________Z32_________Superlite_________Savings
      Blues________$188__________$128_____________$60
      HT-10________$195__________$128_____________$67
      DTC-60_______$203__________$160_____________$43
      HP+_________$117___________$88_____________$29
      HPS__________$88___________$84______________$4
    4. Superlites are available in multiple piston numbers and sizes, allowing you to easily tweak your braking system if you add more power or change the rear brakes. It also means you can run the 6-piston Superlites if you want to ball outta control.
    5. The BBK can easily be transferred to a 350/370Z or G35/37 if you sell your S-chassis and want to keep your brakes. All you have to do is drill out the spindle mounting holes in the bracket. I'm not sure if the lines are reusable across chassis.
    6. You can actually get coefficient of friction information on Wilwood pads. They are the only pad manufacturer that provides this information, and it is critical to correctly balancing a brake system.
    7. If you decide you want 2-piece rotors down the road, they are available through RacingBrake. This will save you ~6lbs. per rotor
    .Disclaimers
    • The Superlite caliper P/N below is for a 1.38" piston. Your piston size may vary based on the rear brake setup and how you use the car.
    • You will need to run 17" wheels with this caliper/rotor setup. It's possible a 16" wheel would work based on my test-fit using a 17" Cobra R wheel, but I wouldn't count on it.
    • Caliper to spoke clearance should be similar to Z32 calipers, but I have not compared them back-to-back.
    • The Superlite caliper P/N below is for a 1.25" rotor, whereas the 350Z track rotor is 1.18" thick. Please be aware that if you run the pads down to the backing plates, you may overextend your pistons and lose brake pressure and/or leak fluid. If you are concerned about doing this, you can run spacers after you've worn your pads down. I just eyeball my pads on some frequency to make sure they aren't getting too thin.
    Additional Parts Needed
    • 2x 980250 Raybestos 350Z Track rotors...................$138 (RockAuto considers these "High Performance" rotors, and you can find cheaper ones)
    • 2x 120-11130 FSI Caliper, 1.38" pistons, for 1.25" rotor.....$300
    • 1x 150-8855K BP-10 pads, set of 4...............$66
    • 1x 220-9199 Wilwood SS brake line kit w/adapters......$60
    *All Wilwood component pricing is from the Summit site. Raybestos rotors from RockAuto.

The additional parts total is $564 not including shipping/handling.

Pictures

v1 mounted with a 17x9 Cobra R replica:

v2 mounted on my friend's G35:
    Last edited by 2Fass240us; 07-18-2016, 01:32 PM.

I've been running this setup for a while and like it quite well. I run Wilwood shims, part number 300-8460, which is a .032 shim on my pads since the start. 1.18 rotors + (2 x .032 shims) = 1.244, just to make up some of the space from the slightly thinner rotor.

Comment

I never would've pegged those shims as being Superlite-friendly. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Hey guys which wilwood calipers should be chosen to keep the brake balance if I wanted to keep stock s14 rears?

Im on the fence about getting these brackets and just need the extra info so tath i dont need to mess with another bmc. =D

Comment

I am running S14 rears and will be running the 1.38" Superlites in the front. They're a tad undersized for the front, and the 1.63" are oversized. I will be running a higher mu pad in the front to compensate.

I don't have my brake calc worksheet on my work computer, but will run some numbers tonight or tomorrow to be sure.

Comment

I put the 1.38" calipers in front on my Maxima and I absolutely hated it for street driving. For track driving, the pads had enough mu they worked OK, but you still had to stand on them.

For reference, my manual brake pedal setup on the 240--- 1.75" wilwoods up front, Z32 cals in back, dual MC pedal assy with 3/4" and 7/8"-- takes less pressure than the OE Master cyl on the Maxima with 1.38" pistons up front and Z31 brakes in the rear.

Plus I kept locking up the rears on the Maxima so I had to install two additional prop valves (since LR and RR are isolated from each other inside the master cyl).

I ran the 1.75" pistons before I went to the 1.38" and liked them WAAAAAY better. You'd be better off running the 1.63" pistons than you would 1.38".
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The Maxima has a higher percentage of its weight over the front wheels though, right?

Comment

I just ran the numbers, and the torque bias is a tad high for the S14 rears and 1.63" Superlite fronts (0.74 vs 0.66). The 1.38" Superlite, with everything else being equal, has a bias of 0.67.

Whenever I get my car running, I'll be able to verify with real-world results.

Comment

The Maxima brake bias was around .67 too, IIRC. real world testing said my math was wrong, and the rough numbers look about the same as your math.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                    The Maxima brake bias was around .67 too, IIRC. real world testing said my math was wrong, and the rough numbers look about the same as your math.
                    What were you experiencing? Rear lock up?

Comment

Yup. at stupid low overall braking. i.e. about 0.5g or so.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

UPDATE: We only need one more pair to lower the price by $15/pair.

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        Yup. at stupid low overall braking. i.e. about 0.5g or so.
                        Interesting. I had zero problems with the 1.38" ones on my S13 during an HPDE at VIR; they performed beautifully. And the rear pistons are the same size across different chassis. Which leads me to believe it may be chassis weight / balance.

Comment

UPDATE: We have surpassed the 10 pair mark. Price will be $140 shipped in the continental U.S. I have updated the first post.

Comment

GB closed and PMs sent. Thank you to all who participated.

Comment

UPDATE: I ordered the brackets yesterday, after giving some non-responsive people a few more days to send payment. I expect the brackets delivered to me by 10/10 and should have them shipped out by 10/14. I will post an update if this changes.

Thanks,
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X