Good suspension for c5 vette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good suspension for c5 vette

So two years on with my vette ownership, HSD coilovers sucked, as expected, bouncy china crap.

I just got aldan american phantom series coilovers a month with 550# front and 650# rear spring rates.d

There were positive reviews on corvetteforums, but while better than HSD, still wallowing and unsettled. Although this may be due to poor setup of rear rebound. There are stop clicks and I set it to 4 on the rear, I was told to go with that as per aldan.

The shop that did the corner balancing and alignment did the test drive and did not like them either. So when I get the time I'll play with that.

Front seems vague, even after installing DRM aluminum steering rack bushings. Needs more low compression? But these are not digressive as far as I know... each adjustment merely will linearly increase bump and probably cause crashing...

Apparently ohlins TTX coilovers exist but these are 5-6k USD....not including shipping lol.

Has anyone raced and street driven their vette and built something descent? I felt spoiled with the koni 8611 setup.

Apparently BC racing is building digressive coilovers for the vette... but its frickin BC racing... I am not expecting anything better than HSD quality from them...
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Ahmed, Haven't seen you around these parts in forever!

My friend has a prepped c5 for autocross and is using koni shocks from stranoparts which he told me were practically 2811's.
    SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

Comment

Yeah no S chassis for me I miss my 240sx... that thing stopped and cornered like a rocket haha... ran against a modded sr20det s13 with my vette and it reminded me how quick those little things are and how light Memories... But no lie, it's a beautiful feeling to have all the torque in the vette and to be able to hit 300 stable haha... well at least on the stock suspension, since i went to coilovers it's been a crappy experience going 200+ I am so not happy so far, should be more planted, stable and repsonsive than stock not the other way around lol...

Do they get rid off the leafsprings though? How streetable are they? I thought the 28xx were a no no for street use.

Going from leafsprings to coilovers though it didn't crash as much or unsettle the whole car when hitting one corner. With leafsprings you hit one corner and both left and right ends of the car would unsettle.
      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

It is my understanding that you basically can't achieve the plushness that a driver feels of a higher end twin tube like the 8611 provides in a standard gas monotube that doesn't have a base/head valve with separate gas canisters. This is separate of whether the piston is digressive, linear, progressive, etc.

The higher gas pressure required to prevent cavitation in a monotube without a base valve adds additional rod force (and friction) that needs to be overcome initially before the damper actually starts transferring energy from bumps into the fluid. And the larger the rod diameter, this worse this becomes since it's displacing more fluid in the compression stroke. That initial overcoming force goes directly into the chassis for the driver to feel.

Monotube shocks that have base valves and gas reservoirs are the cream of the crop though so be ready to pay $$$$$$$, but they allow you to run much lower gas pressures since the base valve aids in decreasing pressure drop across the piston in the compression stroke.

There are ways to build your own frankenstein versions for less money, but you have to be savy and have the time to do it.

Why not build your own 28xx for the vette? Or get some KW V3's which will be great for the street and track alike.
        Last edited by gills; 05-15-2018, 02:47 PM.
        Core4 Motorsports
        CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
        S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Checked the site no 28xx on there. just koni fsd, koni yellow, kw v3, jrz rs pro ($$$), fox shocks coilovers, 'viking performance' (never heard of them), bilstein hd and sport shocks, mostly leafspring shocks, not coilover setups

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...316&ModelID=11

Comment

You think the kw v3 would be a good buy? I always thought KW was a no no on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
              You think the kw v3 would be a good buy? I always thought KW was a no no on this forum.
              I'm not sure why they may have been a no no, but they are excellent on my brother's E36 M3 race car. It's all about instilling confidence in the driver, regardless of what the ideal damping curve is, up until we're all consistent professional level drivers. Sounds like what you have isn't very confidence inspiring.

On my home track that has lots of high frequency, small amplitude type bumps, my brother's KW V3's literally feel way better than my MCS 2-way remote reservoir $$$ setup. The KW's soak that stuff up like you couldn't tell it was there. In my S14, it's way more hectic and bouncy. The lowest gas pressure I can run my MCS's at is 90psi before they cavitate, as per MCS. A montotube with a base valve (and smaller rod diameter) can be run as low as 30 psi. They soak up larger stuff fine though.

I also had KW's on my old GD STi and thought they were great on that car. That was a street/track car as well. For a car that doesn't see extended amounts of track time where the benefits of a monotube will come to fruition, I'd say they are a great buy.

You're also complaining of wallowy-ness though which is all low speed shaft velocity stuff. You should be able to adjust that out if the dampers are worth anything.
              Last edited by gills; 05-15-2018, 01:18 PM.
              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I autocross a base C5 in B-Street. This probably won't apply to you since you have coilovers but I have been fairly happy with these Ridetech (Fox) singles. I am in the stock class so I can't change spring type.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...316&ModelID=11
                Mat #67 - '89 5.3L (L33/T56) 240SX Coupe [XP] - '00 C5 Z51 [BS] - '02 E46 Touring - '17 Z125

Comment

Found these... looks like motons with vorschlag pieces and hyperco or swift springs 4 grand damn

https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...nt=43221700947

Their street setup is 650# F 700# R, the street/track setup is 800# F 700# R. Minne are 550# front and 650# rear

Saves 900$ off of MCS' coilover solution but not sure what rates or springs they provide

Comment

I have kw club sports on my s13 and love them. I also have aldan Americans on my c6z and have not run them but I have a set of new motons in a box in case I don’t.

Comment

Wow you got motons, is there even a debate lol... well let me know how the aldans work out for you as I was on the fence now that I got them installed :/ Better than HSD but uhm... I was expecting something more from the way people talked about it... these people clearly haven't driven on a good suspension setup crap...

I am spoiled from the old konis we all used to run on here... I loved the digressive shocks...

Wouldn't it make sense to have digressive shocks... low speed stuff makes it feel firmer... but compliant on the big bumpy stuff...

how much were the motons and which ones for the vette. C5 and C6 are identical.

Comment

I got them from a buddy who got out of the vette game right after buying them.

I think at the level I expect the car to be at I will need to run them but the first event is coming up and I’m scrambling to get the motor back together in time for break-in on the clutch and tuned.

Comment

Lucky man.

Well, update, I set the rear rebound from 4 to 6 and there's been a huge improvement. Talked to the president and tech at aldan and correction is set them to 2-3 front and 8 rear and if needed go up. So the initial setting was not right for the spring rates.

I have to take the front wheels off to adjust, rears I somehow squeezed my hand through the wheels (stock brakes lol).

I feel increasing bump in the front will tighten her up nicely and a bit more rebound in the rear and she'll be even more stout. Took some harder road irregularities and bumps and it was pretty stable.

Feeling relieved.

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                            Wow you got motons, is there even a debate lol... well let me know how the aldans work out for you as I was on the fence now that I got them installed :/ Better than HSD but uhm... I was expecting something more from the way people talked about it... these people clearly haven't driven on a good suspension setup crap...

I am spoiled from the old konis we all used to run on here... I loved the digressive shocks...

Wouldn't it make sense to have digressive shocks... low speed stuff makes it feel firmer... but compliant on the big bumpy stuff...

how much were the motons and which ones for the vette. C5 and C6 are identical.
                            The people who run JRZ, Moton, and MCS all worked together initially when JRZ was formed. Then Moton was formed, and most recently now MCS.

As for the digressive vs linear debate, most drivers prefer the feel of digressively valved dampers and help boost driver confidence, which is way more important to lap times. I believe pro drivers typically prefer more linearly valved dampers and in the right hands will create the faster lap times.
                            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I don't mind another thread for linear vs digressive valving discussion. I liked the koni 86xx shocks, to this day the best little shock I ran.

Seeing the link in your signature, it seems there's still innovation on here and good budget setups. I miss my wilwoods (I ran the setup from arizona z car though, not the locally made setup). The vette is one big heavy car and the brakes get hot fast... C6Z rotors are 14" stock up front, so a 14-15" front setup is where it's at. My C5 Z51 has 13" front and they cook fast.... smoking cook (ss lines and race fluid).

Brackets are the real $$$, otherwise I would probably opt for C6Z front and rear rotors and wilwoods 6pot and 4pot...

Probably the thing I hated most on the vette since I got it was the brakes... still hate them and they don't last long.

Comment

Working...
                              X