Weights on rear sub frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weights on rear sub frame

I'm thinking of taking my sawzall to them.

Your thoughts?

What can I expect as consequences for doing this? Other then more vibration in the cabin? That doesn't matter to me, I"m already running cusco mounts and a peak performance tranny mount. It vibrates as it is.

S13 or S14? The S13 ones are just stupid, they're to "damp vibration" but they're just weights bonded on it.

The S14 ones are suspended by rubber and actually could have some chance to reduce vibration, but I just unbolted the ones on mine. I think together they were about 3-5 lbs.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

The subframe is S13.

Comment

They don't do anything but add weight. You shouldn't notice anymore vibration.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

i removed them, they looked ugly and really heavy
          "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

I shall unleash hell on them sometime this week.

Comment

apparently i need to pay more attention when under my car. where are these weights?

Comment

The weights I'm speaking of are highlighted in weird colors.
                Sawzall should make quick work of them.

Don't worry I didn't notice them either, until I spoke with Bill Washburn about some sub frame questions I had, he turned me on to them.

Comment

This is kind of old but I was wondering if you unleashed hell on them yet and how much weight they dropped?

Comment

yeah my build thread has the updated pictures.

Comment

you do realize that part of the blue area acts as reinforcement for the bushing tube right? As in not ALL of the blue area is just dead weight.
                      Think about it like this, you have a pipe sticking up from the ground, and you drop the subframe on it so that the pipe goes where the bushing normally is. Then you tie a chain to the other end of the subframe and hook it up to a truck, and you start pulling. When you cut away all the blue area, you're making it so that the bushing could rip through the subframe and the truck would take off!

Not very likely, but personally i'd leave some thickness around there to beef up the bushing. I would definitely cut 75%+ off though

Comment

Here is the end product:

Speaking to guy I had work on the sub frame it took a bit to get the weights off as is. Saving anything would've been difficult.

I'm no engineer but I was thinking once the aluminum bushing went in, as tight of a fight as they are, most of the force would be on them. In my head I started viewing the sub frame as just a piece of the body frame at this point. All metal on metal contact.

Too late now anyways.

Comment

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but is there really that much lateral force being put on those bushings to be that worried about them?

Comment

no there isn't that much force. It's not going to fail.

Comment

Only half the weight/force holding the rear in place during a turn. Divided by 4. That is, (rear weight distribution x vehicle weight x lateral g's) / 4. That's static. It'll peak higher. There's no way you're going to break a subframe there, though. I don't think my S15 frame even has brackets for weights.
                              She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Working...
                              X