Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pash
    • Jan 2009

Cams S13 to S14 configuration?

hi im here again im thinking in swap my s14 cams to s13 but reading in other forums i see that they recomend S14 intake and S13 exhaust but i think is for drag aplications. For circuit could be better if i install both s13 cams intake and exhaust?
    240sx 1998
    ka24de engine with, header, intake, pulley, catback 2.5 (turbo coming soon)
  • WishIHadaSilvia
    • Feb 2008

I was going to put both in my old KA-T when I was doing the timing chain but the S13 intake cam was messed up so I ended up running the S13 exhaust cam on the intake side and kept my stock S14 exhaust cam. It lowered my peak torque by 500rpms, so I was hitting peak torque at 4000rpms instead of 4500. Not a huge difference, if you have two good cams I'd just run both of them.

Comment

• KA240SX808
      "That Hawaiian Kid..."
      • Jan 2009

I would run the S13 Intake and S14 Exhaust. If anything just swapping over to the complete S13 set-up can have gains throughout the entire power band...

Comment

• Matt93SE
        • Mar 2009

I'm running the S13 248 cams on both I & E. huge difference in top end. powerband starts a bit too high though IMO. it's WAY better than before, but you have to continually rev the crap out of it to keep it in the power band.
        i.e. shift at/near redline in every gear, otherwise it drops out of power band and gets laggy when you get to the next higher gear.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

• pash
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Matt93SE
          I'm running the S13 248 cams on both I & E. huge difference in top end. powerband starts a bit too high though IMO. it's WAY better than before, but you have to continually rev the crap out of it to keep it in the power band.
          i.e. shift at/near redline in every gear, otherwise it drops out of power band and gets laggy when you get to the next higher gear.
          so is good or a bad thing? do you recomend me the swap or not?

Comment

• Longfellow
            • Jun 2008

I've read that the 248* (S13 EX) intake side and a 232* (S14 Ex) exhuast side is the best all around set up.

Comment

• Matt93SE
              • Mar 2009

I'm extremely happy with the setup I have in it- I just wish the powerband was wider. adjustable cam gears would probably solve that problem.

I also didn't see as much power with the 232 cam on the intake (I had one cam in it for a while and found another one later). that's butt dyno only, but I thought the second one made all the difference...

No point in having a huge exhaust duration if you can't suck any air into the engine......
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

• KA240SX808
                "That Hawaiian Kid..."
                • Jan 2009

232/232 Is your best Trq
                240/232 gets you gains throughout the entire power band.
                240/248 Cross gains between 240/232 and 248/232
                248/232 Low end lost is very minimal (close to 1whp) and have shown avg. gains of 6-8whp up top and keeping the power band in a reasonable range
                248/248 is over kill but good for ppl that either are always at high RPM weather it be due to high speed circuits or short gearing.

Personally try them all out and see which ones your like. I personally think you should try the complete S13 set-up first (240/248)

Comment

• Longfellow
                  • Jun 2008

I also kept reading the 248-248 set ups biggest problem was over-lap which as matt said would only be made better with adjustable cam gears. Which no one makes on the cheap so its not a viable option.

I plan on going with the 248*/232* setup once I stop being lazy and go to the junk yard.

I have a spare set up 232* cames if anyone wants them.

Comment

• a_ahmed
                    • Nov 2007

it'd be nice for someone to do some dynos with all those configurations to show the changes...

I have a 91 KA so no idea what my setup is...
                    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

• pash
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by KA240SX808
                      232/232 Is your best Trq
                      240/232 gets you gains throughout the entire power band.
                      240/248 Cross gains between 240/232 and 248/232
                      248/232 Low end lost is very minimal (close to 1whp) and have shown avg. gains of 6-8whp up top and keeping the power band in a reasonable range
                      248/248 is over kill but good for ppl that either are always at high RPM weather it be due to high speed circuits or short gearing.

Personally try them all out and see which ones your like. I personally think you should try the complete S13 set-up first (240/248)

intake / exhaust ?
                      240 In / 248 Ex

Comment

• KA240SX808
                        "That Hawaiian Kid..."
                        • Jan 2009

^Yes, that would be a stock S13 set-up... (More then likely what you have a_ahmed, unless someone has touched the motor internally)

Comment

• Longfellow
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by a_ahmed
                          it'd be nice for someone to do some dynos with all those configurations to show the changes...

I have a 91 KA so no idea what my setup is...
                          240* Intake, 248* Exhaust, factory spec.

In an S13 the biggest way to see gains in cam swaps is to either remove the second butterfly valves or switch to an S14 intake manifold.

Comment

• a_ahmed
                            • Nov 2007

^How does one go about doing that, never heard of it, pardon my ignorance.
                            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

• Matt93SE
                              • Mar 2009

I thought the S14 had those things too? never opened mine to find out...
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...