No announcement yet.

Koni Sport Front Inserts in KYB GR-2's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koni Sport Front Inserts in KYB GR-2's?

Well a little briefing on my little situation here, I'm a student in AZ, but from HI (Hawaii) where my car is. I went back recently for X-Mas/New Years and I went to install my Koni/Tanabe GF210 Spring/Strut Combo. Well it turned out that the GR2's seemed to be a little too tight a squeeze unless I didnt do something that was required w/ the GR2's or something special. All in all, when I was done, the Koni still sat a good 3/4" - 1" from the bottom of the housing which then left me bottoming out if I hit a bump too fast. I tried to cancel that out by Making the strut stiffer but that didnt do much.

My question is, did I do something wrong or missing somethign that was suppose to be done to the GR2's? Or is it known that the GR-2's are too small for the Koni Inserts?
    BTW if it makes any Diff this was done on an S14...

So it was 1 in from the bottom, I'm assuming it was never bolted to the strut body. You drove it like that?

Comment

No, I used a longer bolt, drove it home and left it like that...

Comment

I try to only use the Nissan OEM dampers to slip the OTS Koni's into. Even those can vary quite a bit depending which year/month/etc that they came off of. I just mic them, and most work...but some don't.
        Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Yeah I kinda jumped in head first with this one, and all went well till about the strut going down half way and it got a little tight but I figured it was because those little tabs the Koni's have at the bottom to give it a nice snug fit I guess and it just never made it to the bottom. I plan to pick up some OEM blown struts when I get back and fixing that...

Comment

Originally posted by KA240SX808 View Post
            Yeah I kinda jumped in head first with this one, and all went well till about the strut going down half way and it got a little tight but I figured it was because those little tabs the Koni's have at the bottom to give it a nice snug fit I guess and it just never made it to the bottom. I plan to pick up some OEM blown struts when I get back and fixing that...
            Good call. The OTS Koni is somewhat longish (13") already, so to not have it sit all the way down...is a pretty big downfall.

Comment

Yeah, it bottoms out on the littlest bumps when going even 25
              I really need new housings, my next challenge is getting the inserts out lol, I was thinking some careful cuting w/ a Dremel? Cut straight up the middle of the housing?

Comment

Did you JB weld them into the housing, or just use the retaining bolt?

Comment

If you just have them a bit "stuck," then just hold the Koni's lightly in a vise and bang the crap out of the spindle flange and it should come off.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                    Did you JB weld them into the housing, or just use the retaining bolt?
                    Just the bolt

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    If you just have them a bit "stuck," then just hold the Koni's lightly in a vise and bang the crap out of the spindle flange and it should come off.
                    Lets just say it wont come out

Comment

Install a longer bolt in the bottom of the strut. Put a 2x4 over the bolt and smack it with a small sledge. It'll come out.

Comment

Hmm, sounds like a plan

Comment

The important thing to do is to hold the piece that you're not wailing on. It should come out pretty easily.

Don't use a wussy 16 oz claw hammer, use something like a 5 lb mini-sledge which is the right tool for the job.
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

^Yeah, I've done the clamp the part your wailing a few times, I think I got it down now

Comment

ergh this sucks. So far I havent been able to find any info about GR-2's as housing for Yellows. I was hoping it would work fine so I wouldnt have to get some oem pieces if i decide to be cheap and get yellows

GR2's are so horrible it makes me want to cry btw. I mean they might as well be stock, then again they are stupid cheap....wish d00d that I bought the car from hadn't put them on

Comment

Working...
                              X