Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AceInHole
    replied
    Not yet, but I took it around the block for a spin when I finished assembling the rear end. It was aligned horribly (i.e. not at all) so I didn't really get on it, but going around corners at low speed it seemed perfectly fine.

Leave a comment:

• McCoy
    replied
    PJ, did you find out anymore information on this yet?

Leave a comment:

• AceInHole
    replied
    So, I have the diff in the car and I started bolting things up. I've got one half-shaft on and it's got me worried that the preload is too tight on the diff. Does anyone have experience with preload on helical diffs? I've read that the Quaifes occasionally use a lot of preload, but haven't been able to find any specifications or reviews beyond simply discussing the arrangement of belleville springs.

Leave a comment:

• 2Fass240us
    replied
    Originally posted by veilside180sx
    Gotta love McMaster Carr. I don't think my wife would call that quality time=)
    Word, mine tends to associate nitrile gloves with rectal exams.

Leave a comment:

• AceInHole
    replied
    OBX Diff Rebuild

I finally got around to swapping diffs around this weekend. Pulled my OBX HLSD from my old car and ripped it apart to see how it's holding up. It had developed some slop before the car was put out of commission, so I figured a rebuild couldn't hurt. It also gave me some "quality time" with my girlfriend (who is still waiting for me to pull the 5 lug hubs off my car so she can install 'em on her sileighty). The helical gears seemed fine, however there was definitely something loose. The output gears were moving around a bit inside the housing, so I pulled it apart and found the belleville springs to be in fairly bad shape. McMaster to the rescue! With a baggie of new thicker bellevilles! Here's the old springs. You can see where they misaligned a bit and got "crunched". And some of the new springs, which are slightly thicker, but the same OD and ID: And a side by side stack: It took a bit of trial and error to find a setup that I felt would work well. I set it up so that the output gears are precompressed enough to make it difficult to turn the outputs opposite each other by hand, which I figure will loosen a bit after some use and abuse. I'll have more info when I have the car back on the road next week!

Leave a comment:

• veilside180sx
    started a topic OBX Diff Rebuild

OBX Diff Rebuild

Gotta love McMaster Carr. I don't think my wife would call that quality time=)
Working...
X