Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler Setup In Summit Cart

Hello everybody,

Im at the summit website and got all the stuff i need for my oil cooler setup that i want and some tranny oil and what not. My dilemma right now and the reason im posting is, is it worth it to get a oil cooler if i plan to do 1-3 track days a year plus auto x every month? And its also my daily driver. I have a oil filter adapter with built in thermo and 10an ports to make it more daily friendly. But im like do i really "need" this? Ive really been thinking about the oil cooler over the other stuff because its cheaper then everything else, and i could get it now instead of waiting.

Car is 93 240sx KA24.

Looking for any input, comments.

Oil cooler vs:

tires, bucket seats, harnesses, wheels.
    Last edited by Scores240; 01-17-2009, 12:11 AM.
    SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

What modifications do you currently have?
    Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

An oil cooler isn't just something you blindly throw on your car without seeing a need for it, just my 2 cents. This could be money better spent in other area's you just mentioned.

If you haven't already, invest in an oil temp sensor and start monitoring you oil temps... this is the best way to know if you need a cooler or not.
      -Monty

Comment

An oil cooler setup really shouldn't cost you more than about $250-300, which can give you some improvements in other areas, but not huge gains.

I'm with McCoy on knowing whether you need one or not. I laugh at all the kids putting oil coolers on their stock KA/SRs that never go to the track.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by GodspeedS13 View Post
          My dilemma right now and the reason im posting is, is it worth it to get a oil cooler if i plan to do 1-3 track days a year plus auto x every month?
          The only way to answer this is with one of these, or equivalent.

IMO, without data from that, you can't know for certain that you need a cooler. As I also understand it, you don't want to add a cooler to a car that's driven on the street often, without adding a thermostat to the cooler. Otherwise, you may not get your oil up to temperature during normal driving, which is also harmful for your engine.

Comment

I'm with everyone else: adding a cooler w/o having temp data to justify the decision is wasting your money.

Comment

Dont have any power adders really or any engine mods other then intake and cat back. Last time at the track i was getting more confident towards the end and was really pushin the engine and heard from a friend the ka isnt too good at cooling off its oil on track so i was just thinkin of gettin a oil cooler to prevent that.

I got some gauges online from a member of carolinanissans.com but i need new oil/water temp sensors. Dont know if the sensors have to be made by the gauge company (saga), because i cant find saga parts anywhere. Hoping temp sensors might be universal to gauges other then the wiring, which i could just splice into the saga wire harness.

Comment

I would just buy a new temp gauge. I personally like Greddy gauges, but there are plenty of good gauges that will work for you.

I did find this page though...

http://www.autodials.co.uk/Saga.htm
                Last edited by Cory; 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM.
                Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
                http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Ended up not buying the cooler setup. The total for it would have been around 300$ with earls filter adapter with built in t stat 10ft line and summit brand an fittings and hose ends.

So i'll monitor oil temps at my march VIR trackday and if they get high i have to back off and let it cool.

Right now im in the process of changing rear main seal, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. Haven't been able to get the rear main seal metal retainer piece separated from the block yet, oh and cleaned the **** out of my tranny. Next up cleaning all the oil and junk off the bottom side of the car.

Comment

If possible, run an event in July/August to get a better feel for max oil temps.

I wish you wouldn't have purchased gauges with bad senders. You can get used (and new) NASCAR stuff for less than you'll probably spend on the senders.

Comment

The march VIR event wont be nearly hot enough for an oil cooler, still usually cool-chilly afternoons and cold mornings down in Danville, VA. I say install everything and if the oil doesnt get hot enough the cooler wont be used so it wont be a big deal due to the thermostat. Without the thermo is when you need to do some serious decision making, otherwise put it on and when its actually needed its there rather then being too late.
                      NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

If you've removed the pan already you'll need to take a piece of (something softer than Alum ie wood or plastic) to put against the backside of the rear main seal housing, and strike sharply with a hammer.

The RTV that the factory uses sets up to near epoxy rigidity at that location.

Get the Fel Pro seal (orange with NATIONAL printed in raised letters) for the rear main, all others i've tried (except over priced dealer part) leaked....and as you know it's not easy to get at once back in the car.

If you do go with the oil cooler setup, you should buy one of these from me...http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/225370...****-ka-6.html

Much less tacky than OEM, with extra ports for temp and pressure whilst keeping the stock sender for the ECU
                        Last edited by Tower240sx; 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM. Reason: My link no worky
                        I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                          If you do go with the oil cooler setup, you should buy one of these from me...http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/225370...ml#post2579425
                          "Sorry, the page you have requested cannot be found."

LAWL

Comment

yea that link doesnt work. Ive got the good felpro seal installed in the alum housing. Had to pry the oil pan off so i could pry the alum housing off the block. So now i need to jack up the engine some how so i can get the oil pan out from underneath to clean it up. I got a felpro oilpan gasket im gonna use.

Is that link to the new ka24de oil block? made by "manonegra" i think? Are they for sale now? How much $

Comment

i don't think that they've put a price out there just yet but i am waiting on one as well. he just said that they are going to go with -8AN fittings, which makes me happy because i have a -8 oil cooler in hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X