Water temp gauge suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water temp gauge suggestions

My stock water temp gauge needle is fubared, it looks like something is loose, the needle works somewhat, but it shakes along with bumps in the road, so I'm thinking of going aftermarket. Any suggestions?

to go aftermarket is a problem because the aftermarket guages are 3/8 or 1/2 pipe thread and the stock nissan is 1/8 pipe on the sending units. I have two stack dashes removed from cars built to race. I can send you the guage out of the cluster if you wish.

Scott (905)878-8060 days
    http:www.can-alignment.com

Comment

Just drill and tap into the upper water outlet and put the aftermarket sensor in there - easy. Or you can do a hose adapter thing like GReddy etc sell and put it in the upper hose.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I took the stock cluster sensor out and tapped/adapted that hole down to a 1/8NPT Defi sensor. Works great, and it's right next to the ECU's sensor.
        She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Did you take the manifold off to tap the hole? Or do some other trick to not get metal shavings inside the engine?
          SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

Comment

Here's how I did it on the SR. It was easy since the coolant piece comes off the motor.

Comment

I use a Greddy temp sensor. I am also going to use a Greddy temp sensor for my oil temperature. They seem like very good gauges to me.
              Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
              http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Originally posted by Racecartech View Post
                to go aftermarket is a problem because the aftermarket guages are 3/8 or 1/2 pipe thread and the stock nissan is 1/8 pipe on the sending units. I have two stack dashes removed from cars built to race. I can send you the guage out of the cluster if you wish.

Scott (905)878-8060 days
                Thanks but I think I'll go aftermarket; the stock one isn't very great anyway ;]

I was actually just getting something like a greddy informeter, I see them on sale alot for low 200s; simple plug and play into the consult port and read the stock sensors, no need to tap anything or run lines.

Comment

I hate the OEM gauge. I remember RPSport was selling one that taps into the ECU temp sensor and then displays the actual temp on an LCD screen, but I've recently checked again and they don't offer it anymore. Is there anything like this beside ordering the kit from ECUtalk (Australia)?
                  Last edited by WilloW; 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WilloW View Post
                    I hate the OEM gauge. I remember RPSport was selling one that taps into the ECU temp sensor and then displays the actual temp on an LCD screen, but I've recently checked again and they don't them offering it anymore. Is there anything like this beside ordering the kit from ECUtalk (Australia)?
                    Yea that's what I'm wondering too, a gauge that splices into the stock sensor and is able to display the temp.

Comment

Can you pull something from the Consult port?

Comment

Originally posted by heyyouduh View Post
                        Yea that's what I'm wondering too, a gauge that splices into the stock sensor and is able to display the temp.
                        the rpsport one was a cool idea but only s13 & i think he killed it due to inability to sell enough of them. could be worth a try to email him though.
                        ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                          the rpsport one was a cool idea but only s13 & i think he killed it due to inability to sell enough of them. could be worth a try to email him though.
                          I've talked to John, he said he's not making it for the S-chassis anymore. He also said that "the aftermarket for S-chassis is dead..."

I guess I'll just have to get that CONSULT interface from ECUtalk then.

Comment

Originally posted by WilloW View Post
                            I've talked to John, he said he's not making it for the S-chassis anymore. He also said that "the aftermarket for S-chassis is dead..."

I guess I'll just have to get that CONSULT interface from ECUtalk then.
                            What is ECUTalk?

Comment

Consult program.

Nissan datascan is a neat one too.

Or powerfc lol

Comment

Working...
                              X