Keeping fluids contained where they should be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping fluids contained where they should be

My S13 is at the grip level now even on street tires that power steering fluid runs out of the reservoir all over the place during every autoX run.

It looks like my brake fluid might even be leaking out just a bit too.

What have you guys that track your cars done to keep these fluids contained where they should be?

I've found some cheapy universal reservoirs like this one for PS but not sure if it'd leak or not.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-P...31210004r11534

Was hoping someone had experience with something I know won't leak

Just found this one....
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Comment

Originally posted by charles View Post
      My S13 is at the grip level now even on street tires that power steering fluid runs out of the reservoir all over the place during every autoX run.
      Is this a common problem?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
        Is this a common problem?

I think all OEM 240 PS reservoirs leak a little under normal use and it's just made 10x worse when you throw the car around hard........ buddy's 91' SE-R does the same thing......

Comment

Originally posted by charles View Post
          I think all OEM 240 PS reservoirs leak a little under normal use and it's just made 10x worse when you throw the car around hard........ buddy's 91' SE-R does the same thing......
          Gotcha.

I have no how you say... "power steering."

Comment

My PS reservoir doesn't leak on my S13.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Does the S13 have a P/S cooler? Can you use a S14 reservoir? Mine never leaked.

Comment

Its not "leaking" per se, but its BOILING over! I have done it a few times in my S14 here is what I did to help.

1. Dont overfill the PS resivior
                2. Lucas PS stabilizer goo

No problems now.

Comment

Originally posted by ecugrad View Post
                  Its not "leaking" per se, but its BOILING over! I have done it a few times in my S14 here is what I did to help.

1. Dont overfill the PS resivior
                  2. Lucas PS stabilizer goo

No problems now.

Hmmm, even after one 75 sec autoX run ?

BTW: I'm running 255/40/17 Direzzas all the way around....come to think of it, the leak/boil whatever got worse when I went from 225's to 255's.....

Comment

Originally posted by jmauld View Post
                    Does the S13 have a P/S cooler?
                    No. I would imagine you could use any reservoir, except (IIRC) there's a fluid level sender as part of the OE S13 one. At least that's what I remember on my HICAS car.

Comment

Your fluid is boiling over. It will continue to do so unless you find a way to keep it cooler.

I've added a tranny cooler just like this one, between the stock loop and the reservoir. Mounted in front of the radiator. It should fix your problem, plus they are cheap.

IG: l_fitzhenry

Comment

Ugh, I didn't think you could boil over PS fluid that quickly but I guess I will start looking into a small cooler and maybe some high temp redline ATF or something.......

Comment

Sounds crazy but I use wrist sweat bands around my reservoirs.
                          I've never had any major leakage but they will keep the mess down at least if I ever do experience it.
                          1991 240sx SE

Comment

I boiled my PS autocrossing with my old coilovers. LOTS of turning friction...going to Konis with the Torrington bearings made the steering feel significantly lighter.
                            ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                              I boiled my PS autocrossing with my old coilovers. LOTS of turning friction...going to Konis with the Torrington bearings made the steering feel significantly lighter.
                              Just so happens I have a new Koni/GC combo on the way..... I'll see if that improves it for me as well........

Comment

Working...
                              X