Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil cooler setup for my SR. Some concerns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler setup for my SR. Some concerns.

I'm getting ready to start my winter build up.

Here is what I plan on doing for the oil system.

S14 oil pickup
    GReddy oil pan
    Touge Factory oil block.
    Remote oil filter
    Setrab oil cooler
    GReddy oil temp gauge
    GReddy oil pressure gauge
    Nomex lines for the oil cooler setup.

I got a deal and a half on the remote oil filter/cooler setup. The oil pan was ordered this week, just waiting to save up for the gauges.

I'm concerned about the drop in oil pressure with my oil cooler setup. I've heard of people destroying their SRs because of lack of oil pressure. How concerned should I be? Are there any semi affordable aftermarket oil pump setups available to me?

I'm also doing a GReddy intake manifold so I'll have easy access to install the oil block and get access to everything so I'd like to do it over the winter, but I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

The motor is basically stock, I'm hoping to buy a boost controller and up the boost to 15 psi. The car is not my daily driver so it doesn't see a lot of stop and go driving. I do drive it on the road, once a week, sometimes once every few weeks. In 09 (if my suspension install goes smoothly this winter) it should see plenty of track events. So the cooler will def a reason for being there.

I'm all ears....

IMO the GReddy intake almost eliminates the need for a remote filter mount, which would cut out at least some line length.

AFA the oil pressure thing, I haven't found it to be problematic but have only autocrossed the car once and did one track weekend. I will have to look back at some footage to see what the difference is at WOT, but I don't think it's much.

How new is your oil pump? IMO replacing it is a must when rebuilding if you are at all uncertain about the motor's history. Oiling is such an issue with SR's (from what I gathered from the RR guys on SR20Forum), that you should not take any chances. You could also utilize a wet or dry sump system, but those are going to be pricey and pricier/ludicrous, respectively.

Comment

I saw no real difference in oil pressure as measured at the stock sensor location. I'm guessing that's prefilter, but I doubt -10 lines and a somewhat large core are going to introduce any appreciable pressure drop since the total oil flow is pretty low. I've got enough experience with pressure drop with oils at work to guesstimate it's not an issue whatsoever.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I also have great pressure once it is up to pressure but with all the lines, the initial pressurization takes longer. I recently installed a 3 qt. accusump which gives 2 bar of pressure right before cranking. I hated watching the pressure gauge sit at zero for a second or so once the motor started. I also have my pressure sensor and warning light on the oil inlet to the engine (I know most are mounted on the filter housing which gives you a second or so early pressure signal)

Comment

Eric from Mazworx was telling me about the accusump setup as well. I was looking at the 2 qt setup they offer earlier today.

Do you think it's necessary, or just a good idea to have?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            I also have great pressure once it is up to pressure but with all the lines, the initial pressurization takes longer. I recently installed a 3 qt. accusump which gives 2 bar of pressure right before cranking. I hated watching the pressure gauge sit at zero for a second or so once the motor started. I also have my pressure sensor and warning light on the oil inlet to the engine (I know most are mounted on the filter housing which gives you a second or so early pressure signal)
            A thermostat equipped oil block keeps this from happening.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
            X