Camber plates are shot what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber plates are shot what next?

The d2 pillow balls are shot. what should i get?

replacements? is there something better that doesn't place all the load threw this small bearing?

to add to the pain, the car is smoking just after startup. like a lot. thinking valve seals are shot too. doesn't smoke at all after warm up. could be worse.

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Unfortunately the "best solution" is to put all the load through the pillowball so the whole strut can articulate.

My ebay camber plates(from deluboz or whatever his name is) are holding up great, and they have a replaceable bearing. So in the future if you wear the bearing out you can put a high quality one in its place for maybe $15/side or so. The ebay stuff is going for about $90 shipped for a pair. Hard to beat that considering you can replace the bearing. The hardware is of reasonable quality for the application.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
      Unfortunately the "best solution" is to put all the load through the pillowball so the whole strut can articulate.

My ebay camber plates(from deluboz or whatever his name is) are holding up great, and they have a replaceable bearing. So in the future if you wear the bearing out you can put a high quality one in its place for maybe $15/side or so. The ebay stuff is going for about $90 shipped for a pair. Hard to beat that considering you can replace the bearing. The hardware is of reasonable quality for the application.
      Wheres a good place to get quality bearings?

Comment

I haven't taken mine out to measure them, but every Chinese bearing I've seen has been a standard size. So you could probably source an Aurora bearing for about the $15 price range I quoted before.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

good to know thanks def

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
            I haven't taken mine out to measure them, but every Chinese bearing I've seen has been a standard size. So you could probably source an Aurora bearing for about the $15 price range I quoted before.
            I had bought the deluboz plates in 09, they are now shot again. .005" on driver .008" on the passenger. PA roads are the worst. i should take a video of this one road.

Anyway has anyone measured them and replaced the ball? I really doubt this will work, I would think the ball and mount would degrade together. but i'm willing to try.

Comment

The ground control camber plates for 240s look like they have a torrington bearing in the top hat so all the weight isn't on the spherical bearing.
              '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
              '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
              '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
              '81 BMW R65

Comment

Originally posted by eage8 View Post
                The ground control camber plates for 240s look like they have a torrington bearing in the top hat so all the weight isn't on the spherical bearing.
                I think you mean a bearing like the vorschlag perches.... I have these and that's what mine came with; the vorschlag type upper perches and the pillowball in the plate.

Comment

would a shot bearing be the cause of something sounding like metal jiggling around when i hit bumps, i'm going to say it would, i thought it may have been worn bump stops (ohlin's adjustable struts with s15 springs that were cut) they're cusco top hats. on the rears btw, fronts are stock plates and make no noise.

Comment

Originally posted by shiftdrift View Post
                    would a shot bearing be the cause of something sounding like metal jiggling around when i hit bumps, i'm going to say it would, i thought it may have been worn bump stops (ohlin's adjustable struts with s15 springs that were cut) they're cusco top hats. on the rears btw, fronts are stock plates and make no noise.
                    Yes most definitively. But they don't wear as quickly in the rear because the spring is in contact with the body directly.

Check you rear axles, a car that has been lowered too much(mine) and raised up again will make the same sound.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

it was stock ride height for it's whole life minus the last 5k miles or so, it immediately started the noise from the rear, i just haven't had spare time to pull them off and inspect.

Last edited by shiftdrift; 07-19-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

The bearing is
                        Race outside diameter = 33mm
                        Ball inner diameter = 18mm
                        Ball width = 20mm
                        Race width = 16mm

using this thread I contacted race-parts.com, waiting for a quote.
                        http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2084451

so one company in the whole world is making these. at $68 bucks a piece that kinda sucks, thats more than i paid for the plates themselves.

Any of you have other ideas, i've searched around but unable to find anything.

Comment

****, if that's the case i may just throw the stock tophats back on.

Comment

your spherical bearing may be different than mine.

Comment

yeah i am going to pull one off here soon and measure it.

Comment

Working...
                              X