Vented hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vented hoods

Some asshat backed into my car while it was parked and didn't leave a note, so I'm left with a crumpled hood and a dented radiator support. Since I need a new hood anyways, I'm looking for something lighter and maybe vented. S14 zenki doesnt have many options though. Any thoughts on the utility of a vent? I might just try to pick up a stock-type FRP hood and add a vent later if needed. Everything on the market is pretty gross looking, other than $600+ JDM hoods.
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
    Any thoughts on the utility of a vent?
    It depends entirely on the pressure differential between the two sides of the hood. Without testing, it's almost 100% guesswork.

I have a differential pressure gauge I'll sail you. $25 shipped!

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
    I might just try to pick up a stock-type FRP hood and add a vent later if needed.
    Do exactly this.

Comment

That's the plan. Chances of finding a white S14 hood are slim anyways, so if I'm gonna have a janky looking setup, might as well be a lighter FRP hood. Still looks like $300 plus shipping. Time to find somethign used locally or try to pull some strings.
      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

A vented hood will work. Just try to get the vents past the radiator.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Seibon should make something for your car...??

Hood vents are a big factor of how much air you have going through the heat exchangers as well. I have a huge inlet for my intercooler/radiator, so a vent helps a lot for me.

There are various designs that increase the pressure differential. I basically did a rectangular hole with a scoop that had an angle of 11*, and a hypoteneuse of about 5.11" or so. It has a raise of 1" in the back, where air escapes towards the windshield.

This is what it looks like:
          http://ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37000

I am probably just going to buy a Seibon dual vented hood when I get back due to the weight reduction factor as well as larger vents.
          Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
          http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

I have a Chargespeed and it works great, dropped at speed temps by a fair bit. plus the hole for the intake does a nice job of channeling some cold air to the filter.

Comment

I might be installing this vent (Chargespeed) on my metal hood soon.

Mocked up on hood.

I'll sell the vent if anyone wants it, I need tires.

Comment

Still trying to figure out a solution. My stocker closes, but looks pretty bad. I don't think I'd go on track with it like this. Even the cheap FRP hoods are like $300 plus shipping, so I may just end up waiting for a used one. Someone local has a nice FRP vented one for $475 from Daimyo (never heard of it, google failed me also). It's actually about how much the other cheap ones would cost after shipping, but still, eh. Lots of cash for not much return. People are also wanting $100+ for stock metal hoods, so screw that.
                ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Is the $100 for local salvage yard pricing?!? Seems high to me I guess.
                  -Monty

Comment

No, local individuals. My local yard hasn't had an S14 in a while, and besides, too many 240 fanbois in Chicago so everything (especially body parts to repair dorifto accidents) disappear quickly.
                    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                    X