Anyone swapped a VQ37HR into a 240sx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone swapped a VQ37HR into a 240sx?

I was looking at getting another SR20DET, my current one has rod knock. I've heard horror stories with grinding down the crank & doing oversized bearings.

Honestly I've had better luck with the more stock SRs than the mildly built one I currently have.

This lead me to looking into the VQ37HR. They aren't very expensive and seem to make good power with just a few bolt ons. Fairly reliable as well. I've seen my fair share of VQ35DE swaps. Has anyone done a VQ37HR? Bad idea? Discuss!
    Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
    TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Seems like it would be a fun amount of power and a reasonable power band in a lighter 240. Hard to get a lot of power and going turbo seems like too many headaches, but for a reasonably quick car it seems like a good way to go to me.
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I've been looking at G37's as a possible alternative to VQ35HR swapping my G35. It doesn't appear as though you can get all that much more power with it (37HR vs 35HR) unless the dyno's that I've seen for the 35 were all high and the 37's all conservative.

If you want a DE I'm rebuilding mine, but would sell it (with trans and everything) to fund an HR swap...

Comment

The hard part with using the stock ECU is you'll have to have a functioning CAN network for the engine, as the VVEL shaft position angle is sent to a separate VVEL controller via CAN.

I looked into this, and my thoughts were to use an Arduino and have a standalone output the signals to it to tell it when to adjust to what shaft voltage. Then the Arduino would hold one side of the VVEL shaft motor (just a 2 pin DC motor) until the 0-5 V VVEL shaft position sensor got to the desired range.

3 positions would give you most of the benefits of treating it as a stepless system, with a low position for idling and low RPM, a "hot street cam" position for once you get above 2.5k RPM or so, and a "race cam" setting for when you cross say 3.5-4k RPM.

The standalone can control the idle via the dual TBs. But obviously this locks you into an AEM Infinity 708 box, which is a little pricey. But honestly not that much more than getting someone to strip out all the NATS/electrical module (IBS or something?)/etc. stuff so it'll run in a new chassis. Then you'll have a stock ECU freaking out about not having stuff like all the EVAP sensors and equipment (it monitors EVAP pressure, and has a bunch of other stuff to control evap).

At the end of the day, I think a VQ35HR with a VQ37VHR crank and rods and aftermarket cams like some Tomei 272s would do just as much as the VQ37 will do, and probably less PITA. Toss on an AEM Infinity 708 and it'll run all the VQ35HR stuff natively like intake and exhaust VCT, dual throttle bodies etc.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I know the owner of GKTech is in the process of one right now, although his S14 is RHD. Search "S-chassis VQ" on Facebook. He shared some information on it and I'm sure if you pick his brain he'll divulge more info.
          Core4 Motorsports
          CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
          S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

There's someone selling VQ37VHR harness modifications that has a video of one running on a pallet. He says it'll run with 4 wires from the chassis. You provide the engine harness, ECU, valve controller and the connector, and pigtail from the dash harness, and $2,300..., The FSM for an S14 is ~850 pages. The ECU chapter for the VHR motors is ~850 pages.
            Don Johnson (really!)
            Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
              There's someone selling VQ37VHR harness modifications that has a video of one running on a pallet. He says it'll run with 4 wires from the chassis. You provide the engine harness, ECU, valve controller and the connector, and pigtail from the dash harness, and $2,300..., The FSM for an S14 is ~850 pages. The ECU chapter for the VHR motors is ~850 pages.
              That's the easy button and it does work. Then you tune with uprev.

Another big pain is fitment. The vvel motors stick out the back of the head close to the firewall and one sticks up fairly significantly.
              98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

All the VQ37VHR has over a VQ35HR is way more intake cam duration and lift and a small displacement bump. The HR has variable valve timing on the exhaust side which the 37 lacks.

Bigger cams on the 35HR is going to erase most or all of the gains the 37 has.

Comment

Just to clarify, there isn't a VQ37HR, It's a VQ37VHR with VVEL.

The VQ35HR that came out in 2007 has longer rods, a taller deck, variable valve timing for both intake and exhaust, and other improvements over the earlier VQ35DE engines.

There's a MotoIQ article that details some of the differences. It starts about half way down this page;
                  http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...That-Suck.aspx
                  Don Johnson (really!)
                  Just so you know.

Comment

There's a whole MotoIQ write up on the VQ37VHR and its valvetrain from when the Z34 was new, so ~2009 timeframe.

One key point, VQ37VHR has no variable valve timing on the exhaust cam, only intake, and VVEL. VVEL is essentially a stepless change in lift and duration by altering the linkage ratio from a large cam to the rocker arm. In OEM usage, they use it to keep the throttle bodies open and lower the lift on the intake cam and keep the intake port pressure up and reduce pumping losses. But it'd probably work a lot better in track usage to use the throttle bodies to control airflow, and advance your intake cam duration and lift as you go through the rev range to maximize power.

Comment

Working...
                    X