Starting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Issues

Well I have been chasing my tale for the better part of two/three weeks now trying to figure out why my ka24e won't start. A month ago I pulled the car out and ran if for a bit, no issues. We got a warm spell and I pulled the car out again and was going to load it in the trailer about three weeks ago. Car started, pulled out and it died. Went to refire and nada. Nothing changed from the time it started to the time it wouldn't start. So I chased my tail with the usual diagnosis. Started with spark, have it. Checked compression and all the cylinders were fine. Then thought maybe the hall sensor was a little out of adjustment. Checked the static timing etc and everything checked out. So that brings me to fuel. Checked fuel pressure and it was okay. Injectors checked out. So I figured it was the engine management system. Also pulled plugs and they were dry as a bone. I have an a knob that I can adjust the fuel mixture to richen or lean. So I richen it at start but still no dice. I ran to Autozone yesterday and rented the noid light (like I said I was convinced it was not getting the pulse from the ECU). I was wrong. It was receiving a pulse. Not sure why but I decided to swap out my FP gauge with another one I had in the shop. The gauge I had in the car was reading what it normally did for pressure, 35ish at startup. New gauge reads 20. So I changed fuel filter and nothing changed, 20. I have another inline filter back by the fuel cell. So I will change that one out first and go from there (aka new fuel pump). Question is would the car start with 20psi? Any suggestions on a good external pump if I have to go that route? It's a ka24e with wildish cam etc but no turbos. I am running SDS EM-4 for the stand alone. Thanks in advance.
    Dan

20 psi is low, base is 43 psig above atmospheric. That said, I'd think it'd still catch and run.

You say the plugs are bone dry, but you have fuel pressure and the injectors are getting a signal. Something is broken in the link, either fuel pump, or injectors.

I say pull the fuel rail and crank it while observing if it's spraying fuel (maybe a paper towel under injectors if you can't physically watch them).

It sounds like a no fuel issue...
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Def,

Thanks for the reply. First of all I should always proofread my post before submitting, "chasing my tail" instead of "chasing my tale", the high school teacher in me cringed when I read what I typed, haha. I wasn't sure it would try to catch or not with 20psi. Actually the first thing I am going to do is just add some gas just to make sure the pickup is covered. Then I will start with the fuel filters and then work my way to the pump, probably blow out the lines while I have everything off.

Dan

Comment

I highly recommend checking to see if you have fuel coming out of your injectors first. At 20 psi it'll still spray plenty.

If you have nothing, then that drastically narrows down your troubleshooting. I'm inclined to think you don't have fuel based on what you wrote.

I have heard of injectors gumming up from sitting around for a while, but all 4 completely stopped seems hard to fathom.

Comment

Okay so this is where my ignorance is coming through. I pulled the rail and tried turning on the fuel pump and the injectors are being popped out of the rail before I have a chance pop the starter to see if the injectors are firing. There is plenty of gas pouring through now, I did change the filter and the pressure went up to 35. What is the best way to hold the injectors in place, or is this a two person job? Thanks.

Dan

Comment

Sounds like a two person job to me. unless you have excess amounts of baling/safety wire
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Might actually be a three person job, two to hold the injectors and one to push the button. Ask me how I know, not that I'm covered in fuel, my step daughter thought it was hilarious. I will try to rig something up tomorrow. Trying to get everything buttoned up for the Major at VIR.

Dan

Comment

Are E's top feed? In that case, pull the manifold away from the engine and leave the injectors in the manifold. Put paper towels in front of manifold and get your spray on.

Comment

Just a couple months ago I helped put in a KA24DE that had been sitting for years. Turned over but wouldn't fire, and had spark. When I put 12v to the fuel injectors, all four had a muffled click, versus a nice defined click from other spare injectors. Swapped them out and it fired right up.

So it is definitely possible to have all four fuel injectors stuck. If that's the case, I think the injector servicing places soak them in toluene (can get it at a paint store).

Comment

Yep.. I've had physically clogged injectors on multiple cars after sitting a while. the fuel just turns to varnish inside the injector and they quit spraying. an injector service place may be able to get them going again, but depending on the injector it may be cheaper and easier to just replace..
                    Originally posted by SoSideways
                    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I am still working on the starting issue. Now it appears my spark is not there. So before I move on to the fuel side let me figure out what is going on there. It is really strange because it was sparking fine and now the coils won't fire. Hoping to get a second to look at it tonight. Once I get the spark figured out I will check the fuel side again, by pulling the manifold and seeing if I am getting spray. Kids change how much time I have to play in the garage. Matt what film editing (the overlay) are you using for your in-car? That looked evil.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X