Tein Tie rod spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tein Tie rod spacers

Well its time I come back for some more info from the guys that actualy race not use their cars for drift missiles.

So here is my question. I just got some tein inner and outter tie rods at a good deal. I didnt realy need the increased steering angle that is offered by the included spacer but I did need some new inner and outter tie rods so I jumped on the deal fro 100 bucks. Now Im curiuse what would be the draw back of using the spacers while road racing or auto crossing? My understanding is that it only allows extra angle but shouldnt effect steering geometry in grip driving instances other then allowing for more angle at steering lock.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex R.
    Last edited by rbpwrd240; 08-17-2016, 09:35 PM.

Why install them when you can't even go to the factory stops with wide tires?
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

What def said. unless it does something beneficial to the Ackerman, then they're useless IMO. And calculating the differences in Ackerman based on the rack/steering arm lengths is above my pay grade.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, and I don't think spacing the inner pivot out by a few mm is going to be a drastic change anyway. At least enough to feel/see it at your typical steering angle you see on track.

Comment

I wouldn't think it would change much, but it definitely does affect the ackerman to some extent. it would be a nice mental exercise for someone that has suspension modeling software. if you already had an S-chassis set up in the software, it wouldn't take long to lengthen the steering rack and tie rod lengths, then re-run steering curves to show before/after.

But yeah-- I don't think there will be much difference when the max steering angle on track is maybe 10-15 degrees or so?
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I know it affects things, but I think you're going to be at the exact same traction vs. slip angle point on the curve when you change the inner wheel angle from 9.72 degrees to 9.71 degrees.

Comment

Yep. tread squirm and minute bumps in the track surface will be a larger factor than these spacers at those steering angles.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

My understanding is that with a 245 front you can still add some angle. I have the parts I just wondered what would be the negatives. Good info you guys are giving out. Other then being a small difference what negatives can be made by adding a little angle at the end of your steering lock??

Comment

No way you can use more angle with 245's and stock fenders - not by a long shot. Maybe with like another 30-35 mm of negative offset to push them way out, but I still have my doubts.

255/40-17 on lightly massaged stock S13 fenders, wider FLCAs (about 6-7 mm each side) will have it hitting the framerail front and rear (and the front bumper/fender a bit thanks to max'd caster) before hitting the steering stops.

Comment

245/40/17 on my S14 with 17x8 + 35 and stock control arms will rub the frame rail on the front edges at full lock.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                    X