Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitting koni cartridges into double adjustment coilovers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fitting koni cartridges into double adjustment coilovers

    I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before. Take 4 koni cartridges from a 240sx or whatever will fit and retrofit them into front and rear coilovers that have the threaded shock bodies and is double adjustable.

    Heres a picture of what im talking about.


  • #2
    This guy did something similar with the 86xx using Ksport carcases.
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=336836

    Comment


    • #3
      So has anyone done this before?? I think it would a cheaper option for me since i already have the coilovers. I can just wait til they blow and then swap the konis in instead of buying sleeves, springs, perches, etc.

      Ill probably have to modify my camber/rear mounts to match the size of the konis but that should be easy.

      I want to do exactly what the guy did except for the machining of his own tubes and such.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think if someone sold a kit with the gland nut and a threaded ring to accept it (as a weld-on), more people would attempt this. At that point it's just a bit of cutting and welding.
        She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by undesiredshoe View Post
          So has anyone done this before?? I think it would a cheaper option for me since i already have the coilovers. I can just wait til they blow and then swap the konis in instead of buying sleeves, springs, perches, etc.

          Ill probably have to modify my camber/rear mounts to match the size of the konis but that should be easy.

          I want to do exactly what the guy did except for the machining of his own tubes and such.
          Are you talking about using front Koni inserts all around? The rears on a K-Sport or the like make you "sag" the spring anyway to get it low, so at that point might as well go with a GC coilover setup on some Koni yellows and save the hassle. The fronts with Koni Yellows would be cool, and you can hold the in with a bolt in the bottom. I imagine they should fit if they go inside a stock strut body, but I'd want to get something that matched the ID of the strut body well so that might take some part catalog shopping.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


          DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Def View Post
            Are you talking about using front Koni inserts all around? The rears on a K-Sport or the like make you "sag" the spring anyway to get it low, so at that point might as well go with a GC coilover setup on some Koni yellows and save the hassle. The fronts with Koni Yellows would be cool, and you can hold the in with a bolt in the bottom. I imagine they should fit if they go inside a stock strut body, but I'd want to get something that matched the ID of the strut body well so that might take some part catalog shopping.
            On my coilovers, the rears are double adjustable too. I turn the perch and the whole shock screws down lowering the car but the travel still stays the same. The threaded shock looks like it might be the same as the front but with the rear mount piece screwed on.

            Where can i find a catalog that lists the different koni yellows with their dimensions?

            Comment


            • #7
              You need to be more specific in how you refer to "double adjustable". True double adjustability refers only to adjustable rebound and compression damping characteristics. What you are referencing is actually double height adjustablility.

              Just as an FYI.=)
              Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                You need to be more specific in how you refer to "double adjustable". True double adjustability refers only to adjustable rebound and compression damping characteristics. What you are referencing is actually double height adjustablility.

                Just as an FYI.=)
                Haha yes...i got owned but i have learned something new. Ill probably find some blown double height adjustable coilovers for a cheap as i can and then cut those up. Anyone have any by the way?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by undesiredshoe View Post
                  Haha yes...i got owned but i have learned something new. Ill probably find some blown double height adjustable coilovers for a cheap as i can and then cut those up. Anyone have any by the way?
                  You'll find the majority of the JDM strut housings to be very short, which makes it difficult to fit the OEM based Koni's into them. (hope you have a welder to lengthen it)

                  D2/Ksport fronts are only 11", where the OEM S chassis front Koni is 12.5" IIRC.
                  Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                    You'll find the majority of the JDM strut housings to be very short, which makes it difficult to fit the OEM based Koni's into them. (hope you have a welder to lengthen it)

                    D2/Ksport fronts are only 11", where the OEM S chassis front Koni is 12.5" IIRC.
                    How bad is it to have the koni stick out 1.5"? I could see how it might bend but isnt most of the force is going up and down on the strut.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As long as it's sticking out from the top it's not a big deal at all, as it bolts into the bottom side. You'll just have to make sure your spring length matches accordingly.
                      Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                        As long as it's sticking out from the top it's not a big deal at all, as it bolts into the bottom side. You'll just have to make sure your spring length matches accordingly.
                        Thanks a lot for the help. Even though i would like to use the coilover springs, if need be, ill buy new springs. You wouldnt happen to know if theres a koni catalog that shows the dimensions for the koni yellows?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by undesiredshoe View Post
                          Thanks a lot for the help. Even though i would like to use the coilover springs, if need be, ill buy new springs. You wouldnt happen to know if theres a koni catalog that shows the dimensions for the koni yellows?
                          I've dug everywhere I can, and haven't come up with one yet. If you do...let me know, but don't hold your breath.
                          Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by undesiredshoe View Post
                            On my coilovers, the rears are double adjustable too. I turn the perch and the whole shock screws down lowering the car but the travel still stays the same. The threaded shock looks like it might be the same as the front but with the rear mount piece screwed on.

                            Where can i find a catalog that lists the different koni yellows with their dimensions?
                            I know they're also double height adjustable in the rear, but most S13 ones I've seen still require you to bottom out the lower mount and then start "sagging" the spring with the spring perch to get to a reasonable height. At that point, why not just toss in some Koni yellows that'll bolt right in. Only downside to them is that you have to pull them out of the car to adjust the rebound IMO.
                            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                            DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yea I could always resort to using rear eclipse koni's since they are shorter in length and will fit with minor modifications. I just want to use as much of the stuff that i have already.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X