Tomei Type A Springs with Poncams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomei Type A Springs with Poncams

Hi there, Im doing a full rebuild on an SR20DET (S13, blacktop), and I want to freshen up the valve train. Honestly Ive been googling for hours trying to find a retailer or a part number for the OEM valve springs but I just cant find them.

Im thinking about matching my poncams with the Tomei Type A springs, would this be all right? I cant really find a sure answer and Im afraid Im not knowledgable enough to understand the spring specs on the Tomei website.

yes

Comment

Originally posted by b.series View Post
      yes
      Hey there, have you or any of your friends used this set up without any problems?

Comment

Most hte JDM springs are basically stock rate, or barely above it. There was a spring test many years ago. I remember HKS springs tested almost identical to stock, and the Tomei's were just a bit better.

So they're better than stock, but for bigger cams I'd probably want a little more rate and a little more travel to coil bind.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          Most hte JDM springs are basically stock rate, or barely above it. There was a spring test many years ago. I remember HKS springs tested almost identical to stock, and the Tomei's were just a bit better.

So they're better than stock, but for bigger cams I'd probably want a little more rate and a little more travel to coil bind.
          Any recommendations? Im only going to run the Tomei Poncams, but I bought a surplus sr20 and just want to freshen up everything I can before I install it into the car.

Comment

Manley springs are pretty cheap and a nice rate increase and increased travel to coilbind.

I would keep the stock retainers. Titanium retainers wear against hardened steel springs since they're so much softer.

I think a set of those springs was like $90-100ish a few years ago.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks again Def!

Comment

Working...
              X