Trouble Shooting Tranny Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Shooting Tranny Swap

In the process of swapping a Sr manual trans with a KA. The SR was extremely hard to impossible to shift into second so we went with a known good KA and swapped bellhousing. Upon getting ready to install we noticed that with the bell housing front plate and shaft seal in place it will not shift freely and spin in 1st, 2nd,or 5th but will in 3rd and 4th. Take the plate off the bellhousing and it spins fine. We tried the plate off the SR and it did the same thing.
    Any Ideas?
    94 Vert on long road to RR recovery
    89 Hatch DD(died in crash)
    96 S14 stock KA/MT DD (replaced 89)

Maybe the bellhousing is messed up/tweaked? It's the only thing common between the two.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Hmm I will look at it, not sure how that would happen. We might have a line on a local sr tranny to swap in for now. I am going to see if I can find some rebuild kits and add rebuilding a tranny to my list.
      94 Vert on long road to RR recovery
      89 Hatch DD(died in crash)
      96 S14 stock KA/MT DD (replaced 89)

Comment

I don't know for sure, but I've read somewhere that storing the transmission vertically (bell housing on the floor) combined with some agitation will cause some component to shift positions internally that will cause your problem. I'm on my phone, so you might want to research it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Don Johnson (really!)
        Just so you know.

Comment

Working...
        X