Making S14 Fiberglass headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making S14 Fiberglass headlights

No need for glass (HEAVY) headlights in my class....
    weight savings are always good

First i take the headlight i want to copy and mask it up.

then i cut 2 layers of fiberglass to the size i need

then i start applying the resin and let dry for a couple hours

then i release the mold and had a couple more layers to the back side to add rigitity

then i cut them out to what i want for fitment. I also added an intake port

primered and wetsanded and brackets fabbed up

painted black for now....may paint them a Blue. not sure, but its only spray paint so i can change whenever

Very nice... I'm liking that big opening on the front of the car for cooling, I need that for sure
    -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
      Very nice... I'm liking that big opening on the front of the car for cooling, I need that for sure

I had to cut. at 26psi and 4 laps, i would start to overheat...this should help alot.

Comment

Very clean and well done. I love seeing functional aero/bodywork modifications.

You might want to try some ducting, it goes a long way in terms of cooling efficiency.
        Last edited by LanceKA-T; 08-29-2008, 05:45 PM.

IG: l_fitzhenry

Comment

Ducting will be huge, as will a splitter to get some more pressure built up in front of the radiator/IC face.

I'd also think of doing a bellmouth/velocity stack going into the intake duct, and maybe increase the size a bit. If you're running 26 psi, you want that duct to be at least 1.5-2x your inducer area at the SMALLEST area. That'll actually give you some benefits of the dynamic pressure you're building up at the inlet during high flow/HP times.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
            Ducting will be huge, as will a splitter to get some more pressure built up in front of the radiator/IC face.

I'd also think of doing a bellmouth/velocity stack going into the intake duct, and maybe increase the size a bit. If you're running 26 psi, you want that duct to be at least 1.5-2x your inducer area at the SMALLEST area. That'll actually give you some benefits of the dynamic pressure you're building up at the inlet during high flow/HP times.

i am in the process of ducting the rad and incorporating the grill with it so there is no turbulant air behind the headlights

as for the intake whole, that is not directly connected to the intake at all. its just a port for the intake box to get cooler air. so no need to go any bigger than it is now.

Comment

Very nice! I may have to give this a shot if my buddies have some of their fiber glass supplies left over after they rebuild their boat.

Comment

Nice work. I have wanted to do this for my S13 to eliminate the weight in the headlight frame, but haven't touched it yet.

-Andy

Comment

worst case senerio, if they dont work out for you, you still have your stock headlights

Comment

Working...
                  X