240SX 3D CAD Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240SX 3D CAD Sharing

I'd like to share some CAD data that I've come up with on my own time with fellow enthusiasts. I encourage anyone else who likes to mess with CAD stuff to do the same. I know a lot of people don't like sharing, but I'm hoping to break that mold and encourage people to be a little more "open source", ha ha.

Anyways, here is a project I worked on so I could better model the rear suspension geometry of my S14. It is all the arm locations located in space for the factory S14 rear subframe. Enjoy

https://grabcad.com/library/nissan-9...ocations-oem-1

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

This is really cool, thanks for sharing!

How did you measure all of the points in space? I've thought about this kind of thing, but it seems really difficult for the home gamer.

Comment

No problem!

I used a variety of instruments such as a rule, calipers, string & plumb, as well as a tape measure. I also had an STL scan to go by, which I had to scale, because the native scale was off by quite a bit.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

That's interesting, I guess I never gave it enough thought! If I had the motivation I'd model an upright and get some kind of an assembly going. It would be really easy to play around with arm lengths, alignment and maybe try a few different styles of "drop knuckle".

Comment

Somebody should really do this for an s13.. Any chance you could post the step file here? It wont let me download without registering, id like to upload it into my autodesk cad

Comment

Sure, here's the step file.
            Attached Files

Comment

This is awesome! thanks for sharing. This would be a great model to have for suspension geometry experiments. This would be also be a great tool to have if anyone ever wanted to make a tubular subframe to run 240 suspension components on another chassis
              "A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"
              instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
                Sure, here's the step file.
                Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cleantune View Post
                  This is awesome! thanks for sharing. This would be a great model to have for suspension geometry experiments. This would be also be a great tool to have if anyone ever wanted to make a tubular subframe to run 240 suspension components on another chassis
                  Allllll that work for a tube frame and then only to go with a pretty crap suspension design?
                  Originally posted by SoSideways
                  I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                  '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
                    No problem!

I used a variety of instruments such as a rule, calipers, string & plumb, as well as a tape measure. I also had an STL scan to go by, which I had to scale, because the native scale was off by quite a bit.
                    Glad to see the STL went to good use! Don't blame me for the scale, I didn't do the 3D scan. Then again, the scale was the reason the damned file was near a gig. Every program I had would choke on it.

Maya was able to load it, but I couldn't do anything with the scan without Maya crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijacker View Post
                      Glad to see the STL went to good use! Don't blame me for the scale, I didn't do the 3D scan. Then again, the scale was the reason the damned file was near a gig. Every program I had would choke on it.

Maya was able to load it, but I couldn't do anything with the scan without Maya crashing.
                      Heck yeah! Thanks again man. Not blaming you btw, lol, it was still super helpful for me

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        Allllll that work for a tube frame and then only to go with a pretty crap suspension design?
                        I know this is a huge question, but can you explain this comment? I'm trying to learn about these kind of things.

I could see the value in building a tubular conversion subframe for something like a Z31 that can then use off the shelf arms/uprights/dampers. Is there a different chassis that you think is superior to base a conversion on?

Sorry if this is steering the thread off course.

Comment

Working...
                        X