KA24DE valvetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA24DE valvetrain

Decided that I'm gonna go ahead and put aftermarket cams into the engine that I'm building instead of playing with the stock selection in my shed, so now I have questions regarding valve spring setups.

Supertech offers more than one kit and they're listed as having different amounts (73 and 84lb) of spring pressure. Manley (73lb), Brian Crower (73lb), and Ferrea (80lb) seem to only offer one option in their product lines.

For a mild cam like the Kelfords I was looking at, 256/264, I assume I won't be needing the higher pressure spring setup like the 84lb ones that Supertech offers but I'm stuck in the middle because I don't personally know anyone that's used either of these products.

Anyone care to offer some input on the subject?
    Originally posted by Matt93SE
    in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

What's total lift and max RPM? It all makes a difference.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'm hoping to not rev past 7k RPM.
      Cam specs I'd have to look up again for specifics.
      Last edited by Bubba; 12-24-2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Double check with the cam designer you go with. JWT S1 cams are designed for 7200 rpm capability with stock valvetrain. The BC cams (264 duration, I believe) require aftermarket springs. Like Matt said, there's many variables.

Comment

I'm using the OEM 240/248 setup at the moment but I plan on using the Kelford 256/264 combo in the long run.

For now I'm having the head gone thru by the machine shop that is doing the rest of my engine work. If I understood the details a little more I would have already made a decision on which spring set to go with but I guess for now I'm going to break it in with the stock valvetrain and keep doing research.

Comment

If anyone could educate me more on the subject of spring pressures and cam specs that would be awesome also. A self-written novel, a link, etc... Hahaha

Comment

Again, check with the cam manufacturer (in this case, Kelford). Most of them design cams with a particular spring pressure in mind.

Comment

I'll try to look into that a little more. The signal in this boat is pretty ****ty so I usually have to wait a while for pages to load.

Comment

Kelford's site says upgrade valve springs and retainers if boosting past 25 psi or revving beyond 8000 RPM. I don't plan on doing either, but if I were to pick one I'd say I'm more likely to up the boost. I don't have any drag racing in my future so I don't see a reason to rev anywhere near 8k.

I guess my real question is, should I trust my 25 year old valve springs or upgrade?
                  Last edited by Bubba; 02-01-2016, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X