Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redline 75w-140 for clutch type differential

Hi there! Long time lurker, first time poster

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with using Redline 75w-140 gear oil for their clutch type LSDs (mine is a Kaaz unit).

I was set on getting Redline 75w-140 NS for my diff, but now I'm slowly leaning towards trying Motul 90 PA.

I just received my LSD overhaul kit and I dont want to screw anything up (prematurely) by using the wrong oils.

I've already experienced overheating the differential oil once and wanted to try the 75w-140 NS for extra protection, but Redline oils are synthetic and Kaaz/ keyboard racers always say that it needs mineral oil to work at its best. I was thinking the NS version (without any friction modifiers) would be all right to use though (?)

Thanks for any help!

You want the regular version, not NS version.

It should be fine. I'm using 75w-90 Redline in my Cusco RS. It pops a lot, but seems to run fine. I'm thinking of trying some 90w-140 conventional just to see the effect.

Are you running a finned diff cover? I consider it mandatory for a clutch type diff. The stock S14 smooth one is the worst for cooling, so it's very operative that is changed out.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Def, Im a big fan, and thank you so much for the reply.

Right now I'm running the VLSD diff cover from an R32 GTS-T. More fins than the original open diff cover, but no idea how much more effective it will be in terms of fluid cooling on the track.

Should I just go straight for the Redline 75w-140 after using some cheapo mineral stuff for break in?

Comment

Sure, I don't see a problem with it.

I haven't tried Shockproof, but I think I've seen it not recommended for clutch type diffs. But I don't see why it wouldn't work ok.

I plan on going to some Redline 75W-140 in the diff at some point later just to see how it responds.

Comment

I prefer the NS version. This way you can add additional friction modifier as needed to fine tune. I run 75W140 NS in my OS Giken LSD.
          NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

IMO, the one with friction modifier doesn't have an excessive amount. Still has LOTS of biasing.

At least my Cusco at 80% lock still feels pretty insane, and lets you know on track when it's barely letting the tires turn relative to each other on power.

Comment

Maybe I could go ahead and get the NS + a bottle of redline friction modifier as originally planned? I dont think it would be too much of a hassle to add friction modifier in increments

One bottle's worth should be enough to emulate the non-NS version, shouldnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                I prefer the NS version. This way you can add additional friction modifier as needed to fine tune. I run 75W140 NS in my OS Giken LSD.
                Hi there! How much friction modifier did you add before you were happy with the LSD's characteristics?

Comment

I run a big splitter and wing on my car as well as Hoosier A7's, which are super sticky. I'm actually running straight 75W140 NS w/o any additional friction modifier and like the performance. The LSD is a little clunky during slow tight turns like going into grid position but it's a track only car. I'd try it w/o any modifier and then add 1oz at a time until you're happy with the LSD performance.
                  NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Thanks 240sxTTC, sounds good!

Comment

Hi Marpie are you able to help with the query I sent you via PM ??

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                        I run a big splitter and wing on my car as well as Hoosier A7's, which are super sticky. I'm actually running straight 75W140 NS w/o any additional friction modifier and like the performance. The LSD is a little clunky during slow tight turns like going into grid position but it's a track only car. I'd try it w/o any modifier and then add 1oz at a time until you're happy with the LSD performance.
                        My Cusco RS has violent popping at 80% lock and being on the throttle in the paddock. It actually gives a very rapid vibration in some of the tighter corners where I'm on throttle due to the biasing.

This is with 75W-90 with the friction modifier. So it can't be a ton of friction modifier. I figure it's probably helping it live a little more by letting the clutches be a little more gentle with their release when under load.

Just my experience.

Comment

Highly recommend the cusco oil def. With about 25 customers of mine running cusco lsd with some running the mz model.
                          I had a supply shortage a few months back after my 5 gallon barrel from cusco got damaged in shipping and a few were forced to use thhe redline and other so types and they all had lots of chatter and popping. A couple of weeks later when the new barrel arrived they all switched to it and they are all running silent now.
                          My personal s14 with mz lsd is as quite as can be and my other mz lsd equipped sc300 is also running a mz lsd at 80 percent. You can only hear the mz if your outside the car and only ever so often and usually when it after the car sat overnight but once its up to twmp you would think its the mz lsd at all.
                          sigpic

Comment

As with everything, it depends on what the car is being used for. A street car should definitely use recommended fluid or at least a fluid with friction modifier. For a track only car, the LSD performance is one of the things optimized to work with other aspects of the car. I prefer no friction modifier. Others may prefer varying amounts of friction modifier.
                            Thing to keep in mind, less slip means less heat and lower diff fluid temp.
                            NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

My RS at 80% lock is a freakin monster on throttle. It's effectively locked hard in all but the tightest corners where you naturally want a bit of slip.

If anything I wouldn't mind it being a bit looser, but 60% lock would probably generate too much heat.

The Cusco fluid probably has a ton of friction modifier in it. Nothing fancy, and you can do that with any fluid to quite stuff down.

Comment

Working...
                              X