No announcement yet.

Z32 E-Brake clearance w/ s14 calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z32 E-Brake clearance w/ s14 calipers?

Okay, so I removed the z32 brake shield, but kept the center "mounting plate" which holds all of the z32 ebrake hardware. I had this awesome plan to install this "mounting plate" during the 5 lug swap so that the rear would be all set up for a z32 rear brake swap if that ever became a plan.

Well, all of this "awesome" planning backfired, when I went to install the Rear s14 OEM calipers the other day. I couldn't get the second bolt in. Then with a little coaxing I was finally able to get the second bolt in on the right side. It wasn't until I tried the second bolt on the left side that I realized why the caliper was so difficult to install. This picture is with both bolts threaded into the caliper on the right side:

^the rubber dust boot of the piston was sitting pretty snug against the z32 "mounting plate".

My question is how critical is the outer lip of this "mounting plate" to the structure of this piece? If I were to notch the side out a bit for clearance, would this effect the rigidity of this piece to a point that the e-brake could malfunction? (at this point I'm just assuming that this ridge is providing some structural rigidity, since there are a few pivot points on this piece for the e-brake hardware).

"A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"
    instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: [email protected]

Why are you installing the Z32 ebrake setup if you're not using it? Pull it all off, I imagine it doesn't fit inside an S14 rear rotor anyway.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

no, yeah you're right the z32 e-brake setup doesn't fit inside of an s14 rotor- at least I don't think it would from the looks of things. I planned on installing just this "z32 e-brake hardware supporting plate" though, mainly so that it would already be in place if a rear z32 brake setup was to be installed.

It would just save some hassle of taking off the axle nuts, the rear knuckles, and the rear hubs just to install this metal "plate". At the time I had all of this off anyways, so I thought: "this will probably clear the oem brakes since it sits so far from the hub face and the diameter isn't too big"- I was wrong, as usual hah.

"A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"
      instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X