Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 Tire Size Help

Hello,

I have been searching and searching for my anwser but with all the silly kids stretching and flushing everything these days its hard to wade through their junk...

I just got a set of Nismo LM-GT2's for my S14 project and Im looking for what tire size to run. Here are some specs on the car.

Front
    1.7" Drop Strut Spring Combo
    17x8+35 Rims Size no spacer
    Stock fender No Roll No Hammer With Fender Liner

Rear
    1.4" Drop Sturt/Spring combo
    17x9+38 Rim Size no spacer
    Stock Fender No Roll No Hammer with Fender Liner

I hate all the stretch, flush crap kids these days are doing. I like the look of an apropriatly sized tire just like it would have been from the factory except maybe more of it. My goals are a decent track day car. Mostly autocross, drag racing and road course stuff with lots of street duty. Here are the specs I was thinking of

Conservative Tire Sizes
    235/40/17 Front
    245/40/17 Rear

More Aggresive
    245/40/17
    255/40/17

Most Aggresive
    235/40/17
    255/40/17

The car is an underpowered pig at the moment but once the build is finished my power goal is around 450WHP Out of an RB25DET. I tried to keep the tire sizes close to each other to keep the staggered wheel fitment from enducing too much understeer.

If yall could give me some input on what tire size would be best or if you have any other reccomendations please feel free to post them.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex R.
    Last edited by rbpwrd240; 09-06-2015, 02:04 PM.

245/40 square if you're below 250whp. Above that, then go for 255. You have the power to get them up to temp and the gearing to turn the taller tire.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
      245/40 square if you're below 250whp. Above that, then go for 255. You have the power to get them up to temp and the gearing to turn the taller tire.
      With aero you can run 255's with far less power. I actually overheated my rears badly last weekend with ~180 rwhp. Without aero the rears were lukewarm with the fronts pretty hot in warm conditions. Must be the front heavy weight bias and rear lift the S13 hatch shape makes.

With aero you can load 'em up much more and really put some heat in them.

That said, I'd always go square on these cars.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Make sure your wheels fit ok in the front if you haven't already and you don't have any space issues with your suspension, it might be tight.

The wheel in the rear should be perfectly fine. Are you going to at least roll the rear fender lip? With a 255, it might be a bit scary close without a roll.

I'd shoot for a square 255...(which I did) I don't think you need to worry about understeer in a 425whp RWD car.
        97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

I run 17x9 all around with 245/40 255/40 and never had any issues getting the tires up to temp..

Comment

Lots of power doesn't really change the balance of a car. Overwhelming the tears with lots of power just makes you slow, same as lots of understeer.

Basically the balance doesn't change a ton when on power at 200-400 rwhp. What changes is how careful you have to be not to light the tears up in a corner.

Comment

SO..... Maybe Ill try the 235/245 combo. I dont want to roll the rear fenders for 255 and I don't want clearance issues with the front end. Im sort of worried about the look of the tires on the rims. I wan them to look square not stretched.

I haven't checked the spacing between suspension and tire as I don't have tires mounted and for the next few months the car is still a 4 lug. Its being rebuilt from an accident and I have to finish body work before I start all the suspension, brakes and interior. If I need to run a small spacer I will.

I don't want to run a square setup as I like the appeal of a staggered setup. Although Id agree the square setup is he way to go especially if you looking for a neutrally balanced car.

Any more input before its too late?

Comment

The appeal of a staggered setup is only mental masturbation.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, I don't know what people think that extra 10 mm is going to do but make it so you can't rotate tires.

But honestly, our cars would probably turn better with 10 mm wider tires up front than in the back.

Comment

I understand yalls point and I agree your correct but my car isn't a race car. Its a street car thats more of a tribute to nissan then it is a race car.

I want to run the staggered setup becouse they are original white lm-gt2's with original stickers, rays center caps and valve stem caps, the white will match my pearl kouki. The lm-gt series of rims were ran on many of the nissan projects back 20 years ago when our cars were made so they are period correct and in my mind add to the cool/rare/jdm factor.

If I wanted a perfectly balanced car for racing (and I did) I would have gone with the R33 GTR rims 17x9 all the way around. In reality I probably should have; the car would have been easier to setup and I could have rotated the tires. However I got a good deal on the Nismo rims and I got trigger happy. To late to look back now.

So with that said as a tribute to the times when the car was new I would feel bad using a square setup on a rare set of rims meant to be staggered to fit the fashion of the times with high horsepower jdm cars 20 years ago.

Comment

you could always sell those rims for a profit since you got such a good deal on them.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

you could always sell those rims for a profit since you got such a good deal on them.

Trust me I have thought about it more then once..... I'm into them a little over 900 bucks after my brokers comission, shipping from japan, bank fees, paypal fees and the special thin rays lug nuts I had to order from Rays Japan.

Figure they are worth 1500 easy. For that Kind of money I could get a set of r33 gtr rims imported from japan and buy tires for them once they get here.....

But god they are sexy!!!! One needs to have the lip filled and chromed from some curb rash but the other three are mint dude mint!!! I almost loaded them up onto the trailer and drove um down to the local car meet to show them off. lol

Comment

Now if I ran a 245 in the front what do you think would be necessary for fender clearance? I want to run 245 Front and 255 Rear but I'm worried the 245's will be too big for my struts and fender to clear appropriately.

Any input?

Comment

Depending on the shocks and offset, I run 245s on my car with just a fender roll.
                            wheels are 17x8 + 25 with a 245/40/17 on them. I can also fit a 245/45/17, but they rub the frame rails worse when the suspension bottoms out.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
                              I understand yalls point and I agree your correct but my car isn't a race car. Its a street car thats more of a tribute to nissan then it is a race car.
                              That differs a bit from the OP as it comes off sounding more like a track car, with you doing some arrive-and-drives.

Regarding staggered-- different wheel sizes do not necessarily dictate that you need to keep your tire sizes staggered. Majority of '255' tires will fit square on a 17x9, but you could certainly also put them on a 17x9.5.

For my S14 in the FRONT, the wheel was just as much of a problem hitting my suspension without having ANY tire mounted (wheel width/offset 17x9 +35), so I think it was a 20mm spacer I threw on to clear and also have a decent amount of camber, but NO fender roll. If you already have the wheel, just slide it on and see what how it fits. A '255' might be considered too wide for an 8" wheel though and I know you weren't considering it anyways hah. Obviously a '245' tire will offer easier fender clearance than a '255', just generally speaking by numbers.
                              97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

Working...
                              X