Short shifter thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short shifter thoughts?

So, B&M makes a pretty pimp kit but its 200+ hell no... a bit too much blabling for a few machined pieces of metal.

The ebay stuff now... its a win/lose chanced give and lose situation... I've heard that the 70 bux shifters are not bad as long as u replace the crappy bushing with the OEM nylon one...

im considering buying one... so advices? I know the ebay stuff is a hit or miss... but some guidance could aleviate that... i dont think 200+ for a frickin b&m is worth it.. wtf...
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Doesn't Megan make a knock-off of the B&M for aprox 100?
    Addicted to Motorsports

Comment

My plan is to buy a Megan Racing, and put a Cusco "shift collar" on it.

Comment

I have a B&M and its NICE. Vibrates above 5k but its still VERY nice.

Comment

I had a crappy knockoff on my first car, seemed pretty bad. Then I got a B&M...very tight and short throws, felt cool. $200 is crazy though. Now I have another S14 and this one is on another knockoff/ebay short shifter...I like it. No vibration issues, and it hasn't broken yet. I'm used to the throw and feel, which is just right. I actually did most of my track time with the stock shifter in my second S14, and it wasn't really a problem. It just feels terrible after you've been driving a car with a more crisp shifter.
          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

more info on the megan route heh. I've heard mixed info... the b&m vibration thing was something resolved (only on old versions).

The ebay like I said is a hit or miss :-/ If I can be pointed to a tried and tested one then im set. What do you mean by cusco thingamajig. The one thing I kept hearing about was the little bushing and replacing it with a stock nylon part from nissan...
            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

I have an ancient 90's OBX/ Pilot shifter. I like it much more than the B&M, which I felt was too short (I couldn't immediately be "sure" of which gear I was in). The only downside is the rubber isolator has unglued repeatedly.

Comment

Well I bit the bullet and went ahead.

Bings was offering one on his site (local for me) 95$ shipped but its uuh 'height adjustable' (wth?) so that confused me.

I went ahead on frsport and got the megan racing version 2 short shifter. One review and guy says good things for it minus the bushing. 138$ shipped

I'll go to a dealership i guess and get one of the OEM nylon bushings... will review it once I get it installed... The stock shifter is wobbly ****.

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                  more info on the megan route heh. I've heard mixed info... the b&m vibration thing was something resolved (only on old versions).

The ebay like I said is a hit or miss :-/ If I can be pointed to a tried and tested one then im set. What do you mean by cusco thingamajig. The one thing I kept hearing about was the little bushing and replacing it with a stock nylon part from nissan...
                  This thing
                  it replaces the white plastic bit on the shifter. I don't know of anyone that have tired it so I guess I'd to try it out myself.

Comment

Where's that go? Does it replace the white bushing on the tip?

This is what I was saying I was told and heard and read to replace with OEM nissan dealership nylon ones (3 bux apparently)

Edit: lol just noticed you mentioned it (or edited your post to explain it). But here's a pic for everyone...
                    Last edited by a_ahmed; 08-20-2008, 07:55 AM.

Comment

i have the B&M one meow, since like 2004 and its very tight, no wobble and very short throw.

i do want to modify it tho so the shifter is a little closer to me, i haev long arms, but i dont want to move my hand so far from the steering wheel on track, so i may cut it off and weld on a different piece to help that situation out.
                      NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

I just picked up a B&M shifter for $100 shipped used, looks to be in excellent condition and a 2nd version from what most people have talked about.

The stock shifter's throws are longer than I like while on track... I don't miss any shifts, but do feel myself reaching forward for shifts into/out of 5th. I'll try this one and if I feel there to short or if it doesn't feel right on track, then I'll try something else maybe or just go back to stock.
                        -Monty

Comment

if you don't like it and want to sell it to me for 100 shipped then let me know.
                          92 Coupe

www.terpsracing.umd.edu

Comment

Originally posted by MilanT View Post
                            if you don't like it and want to sell it to me for 100 shipped then let me know.
                            I might take you up on that... well maybe $105 shipped . I'll probably throw it on tonight and test it out next week to see if I really need it or not.
                            -Monty

Comment

Working...
                            X