Installing Hood louvers?? Ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Hood louvers?? Ideas??

So at the last trackday the temps were slightly higher than I would have liked (however, nothing life changing considering ambient air temperature was 85+F and humidity was 70%, so a little toasty!). I decided to purchase a set of louvers and the current plan is to install the rectangular louvers both right behind the radiator and two additional reducing width louvers (one right above the turbo and another symmetrically mounted about the hood centerline above the intake manifold).

Unfortunately, these have not come with any mounting hardware. I have actually been reading the Goodwin Racing Miata Louvers Installation writeup. I did get a recommendation to do 1/8" rivets as mounting solution, but means the louvers are not necessarily removable after (although I cannot thing of a reason why I would want to remove them). In addition, I would like to surface mount as considering it;s my first attempt, surface mount would be the easiest and fastest solution seemingly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for installation of louvers?? Hardware?? Tools?? Do I need Jesus??

Link to the Miata Louvers
    gen-ii-gtm-rear-body-louvers/

The vehicle
    95 240SX
    EFR bottom mount turbo
    A/C (probably a portion of the reason temps are a little high considering the Condensor is still installed)
    Etc

Pictures below of what I am working with

I just installed my GT500 hood vent. OMFG what a pain. Get a cutting disk on a grinder and measure a few times. As far as securing them I would do rivets or bolts through with nuts on the bottom. Get some with a really low profile head with a hex maybe? If you want them removable.

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to rivet - clean, neat, low profile, won't loosen, and simple to remove if you ever want to for some reason (paint maybe). it would take a few minutes to drill them out, but no biggie.

Comment

Rivet seems like the best option. You have to cut holes in the hood to install them. At that point, there is no going back.
        Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
        TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

I vote rivet too. When i was trying to find a vented hood, i couldn't find any that didn't have the vent positioned way too far back, basically on top of the valve cover. I ended up buying a hood vent and riveted it in place. Worked fine... no issues to report.

Comment

When I made my DIY vent, it got secured with rivets and then RTV around the edge for a little bit of looks.
            '95 240sx

Comment

Sorry to thread jack a bit, but it is a related question.

It seems most engine ats I see from folks running hood vents show electric fans and no OEM fan shroud. It makes sense to have more clean flow to exit the vent.

Are hood vents much or any less effective for folks still running a clutch fan and full OEM shrouds and splash shields?

Comment

Anybody have any idea for the s13 with the flip up headlights hood?

Comment

Originally posted by wawazat View Post
                  Sorry to thread jack a bit, but it is a related question.

It seems most engine ats I see from folks running hood vents show electric fans and no OEM fan shroud. It makes sense to have more clean flow to exit the vent.

Are hood vents much or any less effective for folks still running a clutch fan and full OEM shrouds and splash shields?
                  I've just added a vent to my car and currently have stock fan and shroud, I also have a thermo fan ready to go in.

I log my intake and coolant temps so I should be able to see if it has made any difference. I'll report back after my race meeting next weekend.

S13 Race car, 310 rwkw, Lakeside 55.5, Queensland Raceway Sprint 56.69, QR National 1:17.1
                  Sam Collins Motorsport Facebook
                  My youtube channel
                  S13 Race car build

Comment

Subbing.
                    1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                    1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                    2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

My suggestion is rivnuts. They install into the sheet metal like a river and then you use removable hardware(usually Allen head screws) to fasten the louvre to the hood. I used to use these for adding armor onto jeep bodies, and they are the best choice (in my opinion) for installing wide body parts and things like this.

Comment

I forgot about this thread. Added data from before vs after my vent, this is with the stock fan still in place. I've now changed to a thermo fan but had some issues with the data log for some reason.

The ambient temperatures the day with the vent were a couple of degrees cooler, but the coolant temps dropped 6-8 degrees. All done on the same track under the same race conditions.

Also intake temps, they're a bit harder to judge because they fluctuate so much, but in general they were around 5 degrees lower with the vent. I really need to sort out an intercooler water spray to get the intake temps down a bit more.

S13 Race car, 310 rwkw, Lakeside 55.5, Queensland Raceway Sprint 56.69, QR National 1:17.1
                        Sam Collins Motorsport Facebook
                        My youtube channel
                        S13 Race car build

Comment

Interesting, I have been looking into adding louvers on my hood as well. I wanted them pressed like the old hot rods, but hacking up the hood webbing makes me nervous. My car likes to overheat on hot track days.

Comment

Working...
                          X