S14 A/T steering lock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 A/T steering lock question

I've done a a couple of A/T to M/T swaps on S13's and one A/T to M/T swap on a friends S14, and just tied the Park/lock cable back to defeat the auto trans steering lock.

I have an ex-A/T S14 that's been torn apart for a while. When I stripped the interior out, I removed the entire park-lock mechanism from the ignition cylinder. My memory is that I've been able to turn the steering when the key is in the "on" position, even without power. (it's been a while...,)
    Today I turned the steering wheel without the key until it locked (oops!). I spent the next hour looking for the key, but it won't unlock the cylinder. I checked the key on the doors/trunk/glove compartment and I have the correct key.

The park-lock mechanism was a pin that goes into the cylinder to lock it, so when I removed it, it also removed the locking pin. The only other thing I'm curious about is a 2-wire connector directly on the key cylinder. The car hasn't had a battery (or a wiring harness) in it for 2-years, but I don't remember if I've ever tried to turn the wheel without the key, so I'm confused. I'm sure I could drill out the fasteners (instructions are in the FSM) and figure it out, but I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
    Last edited by djsilver; 05-27-2015, 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

I'm a little confused. Are you able to turn the key to the accessory or on position?

Comment

The key won't turn. I've tried the "wiggle the steering wheel while wiggling the key" and I'm not getting anything.
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

Comment

if that is the right key they the cylinder is seized. try putting a little bit of wd40 in the key hole and see if it helps out

Comment

it's not a wiggle.. you have to turn the wheel away from the lock.. basically the wheel is pressing against the lock due to tension against the tires.. whichever way it's trying to pull, turn it the other way.

As far as removing the screws and taking the lock off the steering column, I just used a hacksaw and cut down through the edges of the lock and cut slots into the screw heads. that way I can easily remove the thing in the future (because racecar).
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Turns out it was just snagged, but didn't come free until I had one of the bolts out. I added a little dry-slide and it's all good now. It probably doesn't help that the one key I have has seen better days. When I go to town tomorrow, I'll get a couple new ones made while I'm picking up new fasteners to put it back together. BTW, the connector coming off the key cylinder is a "key inserted" switch to arm the anti-theft system. I was looking at the main harness diagram, but the connector is on the part of the engine bay harness that comes into the passenger compartment. Thanks.
            Don Johnson (really!)
            Just so you know.

Comment

Working...
            X