Rocket Bunny kit buyers beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Bunny kit buyers beware

First thing I would like to mention is if you're not buying it directly from Greddy you may have a chance of going through what I just went through.

I was buying the Rocket Bunny 240sx version 1 kit piece by piece. I was not buying any replica or fake ones. Last year when i bought the flares and sideskirts they came in beautiful condition and fit perfectly to the car.

Back in December I ordered a Rocket Bunny Front bumper for my 240sx for $675 shipped. I was told its on back order and 4 months later i receive it with a whole bunch of issues.

Theres patch jobs all over the bumper and the front area is bowing upward.

Here is were its bowing

All the little patch jobs that came on the bumper

aside from the patch job on this pic look also at how sharp they sanded the edge but the rest are contoured to a nice curve.

look how horrible the gap is between the hood and bumper. I had to spend a week and half working it upward to get the gap acceptable

I contacted them telling them im really unhappy about this and after so many email exchanges I find out it didnt come from Greddy. It came Touge Factory. Apparently Touge Factory has a license to call their kits Rocket Bunny.

I spoke with a person from Touge Factory and he explained how the bumper formed that bowing because of the shipping. They pack the bumpers in a box. I told him "how can you send me this bumper knowing that it has that bowing and not send me another one?" He told me ALL of his bumpers have that bowing and he could send me a picture of it.

When i asked him how can you sell something for that price with such horrible quality when greddy is only a $15 difference? and he had no answer for me.

I took pictures of my friends greddy front bumper so you can see the quality it is so you can avoid the headache i went through and still going through since now i have to pay for a autobody guy to try to fix the bowing issue

Greddy Rocket Bunny Front bumper (no bowing or body work on it)

Who did you order it from? Were they selling it as a legitimate kit and doing a swapparu on you?

Regardless, that is a horrible quality bumper. Makes you second guess Touge Factory's Origin line because I could see that being of a similar line of name licensing.
    My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

ouch. looks like someone took it off the mold before it was fully cured.

Comment

i bought it from 240sxmotoring.com

its considered a "legitimate kit" because touge factory is licensed to call it Rocket Bunny. I dont know how the whole legality thing works but i know Greddy and Touge Factory are having their kits made at different locations so its definitely not the same but their both "rocket bunny"

Comment

Originally posted by rs4race View Post
          ouch. looks like someone took it off the mold before it was fully cured.
          I use to work at general aviation repair shop so i called the guy who used to do our composite repair and he told me the exact same thing.

These touge guys were telling me any body guy can fix that with some heat. So now i have to pay extra for their mistake

Comment

Just use a pair of welding clamps, hell any clamp with a flat clamping surface, heat it up then clamp it to a 2x4, once clamped continue heating for about 10-15 minutes then walk away and let it sit for a couple hours cooling naturally, remove clamps and see how it looks. you may have to do it a couple times as it is pretty bad. but it will straighten out. if its really being a bitch rivet an aluminum strap to the bottom to help it maintain rigidity, and shape. that's all a body guy will do, save yourself some coin its not very hard.
            ****ty about the "licensing deal" though good to know don't buy kits made by touge factory.

Comment

Originally posted by clotuning View Post
              I use to work at general aviation repair shop so i called the guy who used to do our composite repair and he told me the exact same thing.

These touge guys were telling me any body guy can fix that with some heat. So now i have to pay extra for their mistake
              Yeah sucks you have to repair it. Cant say much for the gaps, but if that ledge is the same one that fixes to the radiator support you might be able to use some angle or plate on the bottom side + double sided tape to get it flat.

I think fixing it with heat to be pretty flat is gonna take a lot of time and patience. I cut and bent a flat CF panel before and it worked out ok.

Either way thanks for the tip on the quality of togue factory.

Comment

I think rocket bunny is a generic term for the style. They're not saying it's a TRAkoyoto 6666 or whatever bumper, which would be false.

If you want to get the real thing, I can get Greddy. Margin on rocket bunny stuff isn't huge, but I can generally beat street pricing on it.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I was going to get the 6666 Rocket Bunny kit for my vert. I purchased just the ducktail to see quality and fitment and I was surprised with what I have. It seems the way it is set up the insets for the screws are not set back far enough to let the forward edge sit flush with the trunk lid. I haven't had time to actually mount it and see what I can do but I won't order the full kit because I am afraid the rest will do the same. I am looking at Greddy's new version but haven't quite fallen in love with the fender flares vs the old version yet..
                  94 Vert on long road to RR recovery
                  89 Hatch DD(died in crash)
                  96 S14 stock KA/MT DD (replaced 89)

Comment

Also my son just picked up a full kit from the Origin line and we will have to hit the side skirts heavily with heat to get them to lay straight. It seems any straight edge with length have excessive curls and waves, his bumper covers are the same way so were looking into crash bars to help give a better straight edge for them to mold to.
                    94 Vert on long road to RR recovery
                    89 Hatch DD(died in crash)
                    96 S14 stock KA/MT DD (replaced 89)

Comment

Origin is made in China stuff just like dmax and quite a few others

Unless you're specifically buying something made in japan, which you'd expect with what you paid as most of them are usually about $600 per piece (bumper, skirts), that's about the quality you're going to get.

The true quality stuff does usually fit light years better, well worth the price.

Comment

Originally posted by clotuning View Post
                        i bought it from 240sxmotoring.com
                        Those are really good dudes there. What did they say? I wouldn't be surprised if they had to talk to TougeFactory or chose to switch vendors for the kit.
                        97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

Originally posted by popz View Post
                          Also my son just picked up a full kit from the Origin line and we will have to hit the side skirts heavily with heat to get them to lay straight. It seems any straight edge with length have excessive curls and waves, his bumper covers are the same way so were looking into crash bars to help give a better straight edge for them to mold to.

Funny you mention that, IIRC TRA Koyoto 6666's "Rocket Bunny" kit is made by origin. Don't believe me, compare the "Rocket Bunny" kit to the Origin Simple Gentleman's sideskirts and rear bumper, that and some early runs of the "rucket Bunny" kits had the same sticker laid in the fiberglass.

Comment

Touge Factory is the US distributor for Origin. If they are made by the same factory, it would make sense that they would distribute Rocket Bunny as well.
                            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

GReddy is the US distributor for TRA Kyoto 6666 stuff AFAIK.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X