Aftermarket speedo/best road race LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket speedo/best road race LSD

I currently have a Stack cluster in my track day 240SX, I want to add an aftermarket speedometer. Any recommendations? I was leaning toward the Stack speedo as well.
    I have speed indication on the Stack cluster but I want something larger/easier to read.

Also looking to upgrade the rear diff. I currently have a J30 viscous unit. This is a dedicated track car, stripped interior, 255 Nitto NT01's and 395whp. So quiet operation and streetability are not concerns.
    I was leaning toward the KAAZ 1.5 way, is it worth the money? Are the "upgraded" OBX diffs any good? I know people really like the OS Giken but that will put a major dent in my budget.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

You get what you pay for on the diff. just buck up and pay for the OS Giken and you'll be happy forever.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

My S15 helical was great on road courses. I never spun a tire with quite a bit of horse power. At autocross With much tighter turns back to back, I would sometimes lift an inside rear and spin it.
      Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
      TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

The Tomei Diff is supposedly a re-branded Kaaz, and about $100 cheaper with more stuff thrown in it (bearings, gasket, LSD fluid) I think it's the best 'value' option. So I went with that when I got rid of my J30 VLSD over the winter.

You still miss out on a lot of the tune-ability of the OS Giken. Changing ramp angles and pre-load spring rates are possible with the Giken, and not supported on the Kaaz / Tomei design. Both will let you change lockup % by flipping clutch stacks around. But it's also about 50% more to get into the Giken units... getting it off of RHD Japan can help lessen the sting to your wallet.

I wouldn't go with an OBX with a ten foot pole.

No idea on speedo, hope to get my factory unit working again soon.
        '95 240sx

Comment

I run a speedhut GPS speedo, has always worked great. No worrying about messing with tire sizes and all that.

Comment

I've never had a problem with the stack speed read out personally.

Cusco RS is a great diff option as well. A tad cheaper than OS Giken.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Def, I just prefer an analog speedo gauge, something I can see in my peripheral vision while driving. I'm going with the Speedhut GPS speedo, bright orange needle on a white background, easy to read.

Comment

do you not have a functional speedo at all? you won't (and arguably shouldn't) be looking at your speed while doing any serious track driving, so to me it is a moot point. spend that money towards the diff u want. seeing your speed real time is distracting and not that useful imo. any decent data acquisition will have speed that u can analyze afterwards.

Comment

Stack dashes have a digital speed readout on some display modes. OP wants analog.

Personally, I just care about Rpms. I can glance at speed on the straight, but will usually do a max speed recall after a session to see how I'm doing.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

What data acquisition would you recommend then? AIM?

Comment

For entry level, Aim Solo. A lot of racers use it to actively track lap times. The data it generates can be overlaid with others who have AIM products for comparison purposes, or overlaid with your own. If u want to get fancy, u could get one of their dash products. But for $399 msrp the aim solo is very powerful.

Comment

Working...
                      X