timing issue (urgent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing issue (urgent)

hello guys. i dont know if this is the right spot but here is my question.
    alright i just got my ka in and started up for the first time. and i am having a timing issue i cant seem to figure out. so here it is it idles right around 700-800 and varies somewhat (goes up and down). it seems like the idle is a little fast to me but it idles where it did with the old motor. but the dizzy is adjusted as far as it can go toward the front of car ( the top tab). oh and the timing marks are under the water pump as is. so my question is i guess is it timed as is and if not how do i get it timed? oh here is the parts list in this new motor: arias 8.8:1 20 over pistons, si valves, street valve springs from rebello, and stage 2 triflow billet from colt cams, 2.5" exhaust, emissions removal, secondary butterly removal. i think these are the only modifications that might affect the idle. thanks guys.

p.s. please respnd back quickly. im suppose to drive this thing back to college next week. thanks again. oh and its a ka24e.

I can't help you with that, but your best bet for a quick answer is to go on kat.org.

Comment

Dizzy should be basically centered to slightly rotated forward. If your timing marks are way off to the left, then take your timing light pickup, unclamp it, flip it 180*, and re clamp it. Those things should be marked as to which side goes towards the plug and if you get it wrong it'll be 15-20* off.

I can tell you now, if the idle is too high and moves around you've probably got too much timing in it.
      She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

the marks are actually off to the right of the mark maybe another 20-30* approxamatly.

Comment

There's also the possibility that the dizzy is installed 1 tooth off, but I haven't really played with sohc stuff. Unless you've taken a LOT off the head and block, the bolt should be in the middle area of the adjustment range. That's if the dizzy is installed correctly and the timing gun pickup is clamped right.
          She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Working...
          X