Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Cats vs Street Cats

Hello class

Considering the vehicle I have is a street driven HPDE/autox machine, I desperately want to run a CAT. The problem?? I keep blowing out the catalyst on launch control or getting too personal with the rev limiter on ocassion. I have blown out 2 different 3" high flow cats (one from Catco, and one from the exhaust shop (not sure on brand), with the later I am sure not bring up to the abuse. It went out promptly when launch control testing was being carried out earlier this week).

The vehicle is turbo, so in addition to keeping things clean and not smelling like burnt fuel, the cat (up until the catayst exited stage left), made things nice and quiet as well.

What does the sandbox recommend?? Looking for a proper 3 inch CAT which actually does it's job, up to 20+ mins on full song for a trackday, but is willing to handle the occasional launch control here or there. Should I go with a race cat? Or a higher quality street cat?

Vehicle in question
    240sx
    SR20
    BW EFR turbo
    330WHP, etc

Supposedly these are the best cats on the market as far as durability goes.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=2071

I can get one for you if you need.
    Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

I saw those, but I can get a WRC spec cat for half of what Vibrant want's for those (which I may very well go with). The WRC cat is specced for anti-lag operation (albeit, they are placed almost to the rear of the vehicle).

Price shipped Porrman??

Comment

The anti-lag is surely what's killing them.. can you move yours back some to reduce the heat loading on the cat? of course you need to keep it close enough to the engine that it stays hot enough to light off, but you don't want to cook the damn things.

(Be glad you don't drive a rotary.. the muffler at the bumper on my 13B glows red when I come off the track.)
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
          I saw those, but I can get a WRC spec cat for half of what Vibrant want's for those (which I may very well go with). The WRC cat is specced for anti-lag operation (albeit, they are placed almost to the rear of the vehicle).

Price shipped Porrman??

I can do something around $490 depending on where you are...
          Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
            (albeit, they are placed almost to the rear of the vehicle)

The intent for that isn't any sort of scrubbing. FIA and most hill climbs requires spark arrestors and cats happen to be pretty convenient for that kind of thing. they get placed that far back so they stay cold and not burn up every event.

The Vibrant failure rate seems as high as magnaflow or whatever else you can find on the market for "sleaze me through inspection once then burn up" prices. Most everyone uses them since they're cheap and look "motorsportsy" without the mig welding/heat shielding of others.

HJS is the only one I've heard legend of holding up anywhere near the motor. and they're about 650$ each, I was thinking about using one on my car. but don't have any personal experience.

Comment

Working...
            X