different PS issue, need help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different PS issue, need help asap

So I have been battling a PS issue on the VQ35HR S14 for quite some time.
    Car has a Chase Bays PS kit to connect the VQ to the S14 rack.

A lot of whine from the initial pump, even at idle with no movement. Swapped that pump out.

Installed another pump, minimal whine but steering was very rough and difficult.

Installed a different rack and now steering is smoother, but the whine is back.

Replaced the pump again and blew air through the PS Lines and spent a lot of extra time bleeding the system.

Now after bleeding the PS is very quiet until I set the car on the ground and move the wheel, then it whines again and tons of tiny bubbles appear in the reservoir. Let the car sit over night and started bleeding again. It sounds as if air is trapped in the rack and circulates into the reservoir and then the aerated fluid pumps through the system and gets air back into the rack and the whole process starts over again.

Any pointers on fixing this?

Currently using DexVI ATF, Chase Bays PS reservoir and lines, no cooler (removed to figure out issue), VQ PS pump and S14 PS rack, no leaks.

are any of the hoses kinked?
    sounds like there's a leak/restriction on the low pressure side allowing air into the system.

do you bleed the system before starting the car? (engine off, turn the steering lock to lock several times to force air out of the system)
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

sounds like you're still getting some cavitation in the pump, what methods were used to bleed the system?

Comment

Doesn't it take Dex 3 fluid?
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Dex VI says it should work for DexIII systems. I bled the system with the front end jacked up, engine off, and moved the wheel lock to lock about 40x. no lines kinked anywhere

Comment

Dex 6 is really low viscosity I believe. I'd try Dex 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
              Dex 6 is really low viscosity I believe. I'd try Dex 3.
              I will give this a try when I fix a small leak, also I will update success or not.

Comment

Drained DExVI fluid and fixed small leak at rack return line fitting. DexIII in the system now, ran the wheel stop to stop with engine off and up on jack stands about 60 times, drove the car down the road and back, then ran the wheel stop to stop again as before another 40 times. Car is quiet now at idle, makes a little bit of whine while driving slow, I think it will subside with a bit more miles out on it.

Comment

Chalk another one up for Def.

Comment

BTW - add some Lucas PS stop leak and I bet all the whine goes away. It's nice and thick.

Comment

I had the same issue with my aftermarket setup. I added a KRC #4 restrictor to my power steering high pressure line (threads into the pump), and all my whine went away, even when turning. It also gives the steering a heavier feel, which I like.
                      Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
                        I had the same issue with my aftermarket setup. I added a KRC #4 restrictor to my power steering high pressure line (threads into the pump), and all my whine went away, even when turning. It also gives the steering a heavier feel, which I like.
                        more details on said restrictor, please? I can't stand the overboosted stock steering while on track, but want *some* assist..
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

so I did some pressure research. 350Z PS system operates with 1390-1480 psi pump output. S14 operates with 1230-1350 psi pump output. The restrictor might be necessary to help calm everything down just a bit.

I just tried to research restrictors, cant find much in an M16x1.5 to -6 though. Sent an email to KRC.
                          Last edited by VQ35goofus; 04-10-2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Run a -4 an Teflon line. It's larger than the stock coiled bend restrictor in the stock line.

240 guys use too large of lines in the engine bay for most things.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                              more details on said restrictor, please? I can't stand the overboosted stock steering while on track, but want *some* assist..
                              http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kr...4000/overview/

I have a 5 that I was going to try too, just for kicks and gigs.
                              Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Working...
                              X