Autocross class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross class?

So I'm getting a 240sx together, and interested in getting back into autocross and some sore of lapping days. I used to do time only with some local clubs at Bremerton Raceway. I'm really interested in being in a competitive class though, but I'm not really sure which I would fall into and was hoping you guys could help.

Its a s13 240sx fastback stock body w/ soon to be pulled fenders, SR swap with some bolt-ons (~400hp), pretty much full (bolt-on) suspension minus lower control arms, lsd, z32 brakes, 5 lug, 275's rear/ 255's front street tires. I think thats pretty much it. Reading through the rules I think I would fall under street prepared or street modified but not really sure.

You're in SM.

Comment

Most likely SM. Although it is a pretty open class, there are rules so read them. If you have questions, just ask.
      Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
      TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It does look pretty open. Is there a section on this forum for this info? From what I can tell you can do pretty much any bolt on for the engine and suspension. You can do any sort of body kit as long as its bolt on. No trunk or hatch replacement. Seems pretty straight forward.

I am curious about a few things though. No lateral components that connect longitudinal frame rails. Does this mean my nismo power brace is illegal for SM? Does this mean strut tower bars are out of the question too?

Also suspension components unrestricted as long as they use the original mounting points. I have been seeing a lot about s14 subframes, and/or shimming the sub frame to adjust antisquat. I'm not sure which way I would go, but is this out of the question?

I guess primarily I would just like to meet the rules and get some track time this summer and attempt the whole series next year. Eventually I want it to handle well and know I'm going to be tweaking everything I can. I don't want to knock myself out from an illegal mod though.

Comment

Yeah, powerbrace is illegal.

Offset bushings in the subframe are explicitly prohibited so people use the deflection of the stock rubber bushings to mount them.

Honestly none of it matters unless you start winning National Tours, etc.

My car has a powerbrace and s14 subframe, but i'm DFL at tour anyway so who cares. The SM talent in the NW is deep enough with Jason M (who's on here) and the Hyman's r35 GTR, plus a few Evos and STis that aren't slow. If you don't have a full-prep parking lot racecar, you're not going to be beating those folks

Comment

Due to how fast an actually fully prepped SM car can be within the rules, most in class don't nit pick competitors like the stock classes do.

That being said, I do try to be within the rules. I even bought the carpets for the trunk area (mine came without it) and mounted a stock washer fluid reservoir that doesn't work just to be compliant. You have to have one but it doesn't have to work. Jason M has one ziptied to the back seat passenger location. It made me chuckle seeing it.

That being said, go to the events and just try to constantly improve and you will have a great time.
            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Ok so I will have to do something about the powerbrace. Is the s14 subframe legal then?

I don't care about first place, its probably not reasonable to win a competition first shot with a car that's over 20 years old. Getting my foot in the door to compete is my main goal.

I saw a few of Jason M's threads. Hes not too far away from me if hes in Bonney Lake. I'm gonna have to go back through and see what he did while in SM. Right now I'm not really looking to do a whole lot of body modification, but I will see what I can find with the suspension at least.

Comment

Well at least I'm starting without anything stripped. My last 240 was almost completely stripped, including the sound deadening. I dont really want to do that agian.. I guess I have to get this back on the street before I get too far ahead of myself, but its good to know what I'm gonna have to change before I get too used to certain parts.

Comment

The recipe for SM is 350+ ft/lbs and 315 hoosiers all around. Good shocks, giken diff. Etc.

S14 subframe isn't illegal, but you can't use offset metal bushings to mount it.

Comment

Did you mean the S14 subframe IS legal?

I assumed the offset bushing rule was referring to moving the subframe up because it would change the suspension mount location. If I were going to campaign an s13 in SM, I'd write in to clarify that. I'd say the s13-s14 offset bushings are legal.

Comment

Originally posted by rs4race View Post
                      Thanks for the replies. It does look pretty open. Is there a section on this forum for this info? From what I can tell you can do pretty much any bolt on for the engine and suspension.
                      Right here is fine. There are a number of us that are active and have a good idea of what the rules say/mean.

"Any bolt on for the engine" would more accurately describe ST or SP. You have a completely different block. The rules for SM are basically 'any production car block from the same manufacturer, everything else for the engine is wide open' which is what you have and it fits well.

Comment

Originally posted by cdlong View Post
                        Did you mean the S14 subframe IS legal?

I assumed the offset bushing rule was referring to moving the subframe up because it would change the suspension mount location. If I were going to campaign an s13 in SM, I'd write in to clarify that. I'd say the s13-s14 offset bushings are legal.
                        S14 subframe is legal, offset bushings to mount it are not.

Originally posted by SCCA Rulebook 16.1.H
                        H. Subframe bushings may be replaced with bushings of any material as long as they fit the original location. Offset bushings may not be used.

Comment

Good to know. I think I have to weigh the pros and cons of the subframe swap. I'm curious though if its legal, is a custom subframe legal?

Comment

http://www.scca.com/assets/2015-2-23...ok_online1.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                              S14 subframe is legal, offset bushings to mount it are not.
                              I'm sure this in not the offset that rule refers to. It's worth clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                              X