Best Engine for S14 Chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Engine for S14 Chassis

Long story short. I just had to replace my S13 DD and picked up a stock M5 S14 with just some cheap aero kit. Serious lifter knock going on so I am sure an engine swap is in its future.
    Anyhow the LS1 I am building is dedicated to my vert so I want to know from the experienced S14 guys what is the best swap for this chassis. I don't want to do it twice but want to be ready.
    It will be a DD with auto x and some time trial use in the future.
    Thanks
    94 Vert on long road to RR recovery
    89 Hatch DD(died in crash)
    96 S14 stock KA/MT DD (replaced 89)

m5 i assume means 5spd?

Throw in an SR, call it good.

Comment

you are already experienced with ls swap, and parts commonality is always good

Comment

I can't remember if you can do an SR swap and be favorably classed in autocross... But if it's a DD, I'd be REAL tempted to stick with the KA or SR for keeping it simple and reasonably reliable.

All motors have their problems and benefits though, I can't give someone a blind this is the best statement.
        '95 240sx

Comment

SR sticks you into SM.

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
            SR sticks you into SM.
            Where a 240sx is the car to have for class. However, the current champ is on a built, turbo KA. Not to mention, the class requires a bit of commitment, a chunk of change and some good driving. That being said, I'm campaigning it in a SR20DET 240 and having a blast.
            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Yup, same.

Not as competitive as anyone else here, I don't think, but it's a blast.

Comment

Cliff notes, the SR20DET is easy cheap power but requires a swap. The KA block is cheap as heck to start with but must be built for a higher power turbo build. Either way, you can't really go wrong. I'm a fan of big power from small displacement. Like when the guys at work ask me about my race car and I tell them it's a 2 liter with 320 HP to the wheels. It's kinda fun. That's more power than the majority of stock V8s prior to the 2000s.

Comment

I was thinking LS1 for parts and knowledge commonality also. I am not a big fan of the SR because that's in my son's car and it is a trouble shooting nightmare right now.
                  So I will either start a KA or LS once the verts buttoned up or sooner if need be.
                  Thanks

Comment

If the SR is a troubleshooting nightmare, you need to work on your troubleshooting skills.

That being said, not caring about a racing class grouping, and dd, lsx, something that is honestly going to be competitively raced, going to need to pick and choose based off of class

Comment

Ha Ha so true I will admit my car building days come from 25yrs ago when we were working on cars from the 70's and 60's with no computers and pretty simple systems.

But actually we didn't do the swap so we are trouble shooting quite a few different aspects of the set up. That turns me off a bit more then the SR itself I guess.

That is another reason I follow these forums a lot, ask the questions I do so I am not running in circles paying twice and all. I figure some of you guys do know quite a bit more than me or my son so I don't go nuts,
                      Last edited by popz; 03-12-2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Yes dealing with other peoples swap issues is always terrible, compounding the problem is every idiot thinks he can properly do a swap because some other idiot did one and it actually ran, then ran to the inter webs and made a "write up" full of misinformation, and then it's followed, there's a reason people who know what they're doing don't do "write ups" if you need anything more than the appropriate fsm's you probably shouldn't be touching it.

Comment

I bought mine swapped by a high school kid and I've been slowly fixing issues for years. At this point I've touched every single part of the car. I also track and autocross my car, any car you track is going to need more maintenance and care.

If you are doing the swap yourself, you have much more control over everything. Not to mention these cars are 20 years old so they need work no matter what.

Comment

Yea when these cars were new I couldn't afford them, now that they are older I can afford the cars but the rest is all extra. Now my son can afford the car but not the rest so it has been a treat trying to figure his out and build mine.

Then you run into the Gods of the forums that don't want people to learn the ropes so they dish them instead of being helpful. So you have to lump them into the same grouping as the I slept in an Holiday Inn express last night guys.

Comment

Indeed, you're right, not like virtually every "write up" I've ever seen is terrible when it comes to a swap harness.

I'd hate for you to have bothered to search out the fsm and asked some appropriate questions based on it, rather than making commercial references, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X