Heat Exchanger Question - Oil/Air vs. Oil/Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Exchanger Question - Oil/Air vs. Oil/Water

After researching oil coolers for a few hours, I was just about ready to order this setup tomorrow:

But, I stumbled on this:

http://speedflow.co.uk/laminova/

I'm very interested in hearing about first hand experience since I couldn't find pics or a post with it installed on a RWD SR20DET.

This S14 is dual purpose car with a Koyo Racing radiator, under drive water pump pulley and slam panels.

Thank you.
    Last edited by voiddweller; 03-01-2015, 03:40 PM.
    '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET​​​​​
    '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
    '19 Expedition Max
    Previous HPDE Cars: '17 Civic Type R, '02 Golf GTI, '99 Integra GS-R, '97 200SX SE-R, '96 240SX, '92 240SX

After speaking with Enjuku, I decided to go with the Setrab setup and deleted the thermostat. The Setrab rep working with them said we should play it safe and not introduce the possibility of pressure fluctuations.

I hope it will all be here by Friday so I can start working on it!
    Last edited by voiddweller; 03-02-2015, 08:15 PM.
    '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
    '19 Expedition Max
    Previous HPDE Cars: '17 Civic Type R, '02 Golf GTI, '99 Integra GS-R, '97 200SX SE-R, '96 240SX, '92 240SX

Comment

Having no first-hand experience as requested, I did not comment but I think you made the best choice for a car that will spend time on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by jfryjfry View Post
        I think you made the best choice for a car that will spend time on the track.
        Thanks for the feedback on the final setup. I was considering one of the 'Chinaspeed' kits at 2/5 the price, but I just couldn't do it.

Since I've never owned a car with an oil cooler, is there any issue with mounting it 'fittings down' so oil drains out for changes?
        Last edited by voiddweller; 03-03-2015, 05:55 AM. Reason: Added China for recognition of future world domination.
        '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
        '19 Expedition Max

Comment

Mounting it upside down might introduce an air pocket in the cooler.

Comment

That's not good. From what I'm reading in other posts, most people don't seem to worry about emptying the cooler for oil changes.
            '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
            '19 Expedition Max

Comment

No I don't usually bother since there isn't much volume in there, I figure I change my oil often enough that it'll dilute the rest of the oil left in the cooler.

Comment

+1, on the dilution theory. i don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                X