S14 oil cooler w/ Greddy thermo - cruising temps 125*F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 oil cooler w/ Greddy thermo - cruising temps 125*F

I finally got my oil cooler installed and have been getting some test miles on it. My big concern is temperature - it seems low. I got the Greddy filter relocator/thermostat so I could street the car with good temperatures. First of all, is 125*F low? What are your guys normal temps (cruising and beating) Seems very low... I'll double check sensor install, but it's an autometer sender in the bottom of my Moroso oil pan. To confirm physically, I touched the cooler after pretty easy cruising and it was hot. I can try to get laser temp readings of it and the pan.

Setup
    BM cooler
    Block adapter -> greddy housing -> oil cooler, -10 AN lines
    Moroso oil pan
    Autometer oil T (electronic)

Something I noticed about the thermo - I could blow in the inlet port from the block, cover the outlet, and I noticed it would go out the oil cooler ports. Should it be able to do this when off-car and @ room temp?

Thanks for input guys, I'm leaning I may talk to FRSport about a defective piece.

My car was the same way with the cooler installed, same greddy plate. I uninstalled it as a result.

I was measuring temp in the same spot.

Comment

The plate or the cooler? This sucks.

What's normal cruising temp? Normal track temp?

Comment

I ran the greddy plate with the tstat and the greddy cooler.

I only ran a few autocrosses with it and never saw over 150*. Seemed too cold, so I took it out.

Comment

This is normal. All thermostats bypass a little oil ALL the time. Otherwise you could get a huge blast of air in your oil system if it "switched over."

SRs naturally run cool on oil temp with an aftermarket pan. I'm not sure how the internet myth got started that they run hot, but they don't.

In fact, for most track cars you'll be fine with an aluminum aftermarket pan like a GReddy. At higher power, you need more cooling, so an oil cooler is needed.

It's absolutely not needed for street driving, autox, or drifting. Not enough heat for long enough to saturate things.

There's a hookup diagram on FRsport.com if you're unsure of that, but the operation seems normal. Mine rarely cracks 140 deg F driving around on the street (temp in GReddy oil pan), but it'll push over 160 deg F in a lap or two on track no matter how cold it is, and normally settle around 215-170 F depending on how hot of a day it is.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Awesome, sounds good to me Def. Thanks again for info that let's me move on to the next thing. Funny how quickly we accept info that is aligned with our motives.

Comment

FWIW, I never saw oil temps over about 160 deg F with the GReddy pan, Koyo rad, no oil cooler when it wasn't blazing hot outside. When it was 105+ F ambient, and the pavement was probably 130+, I'd hit like 170-180 with lots of idling, then it'd drop back down to the 160's.

With the oil cooler you can knock off about 10-15 deg F from all those values, and it tends to creep up less with idling since the thermo starts opening. On track it warms up fairly quick to 175-180, then it hits a brick wall as the thermo opens up and oil temp creeps up very very slowly from there if I stay in it.

Comment

Def - What do you think would be a reasonable size oil cooler for HPDE sessions?
                '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET​​​​​
                '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE
                '19 Expedition Max
                Previous HPDE Cars: '17 Civic Type R, '02 Golf GTI, '99 Integra GS-R, '97 200SX SE-R, '96 240SX, '92 240SX

Comment

Originally posted by enerj View Post

Something I noticed about the thermo - I could blow in the inlet port from the block, cover the outlet, and I noticed it would go out the oil cooler ports. Should it be able to do this when off-car and @ room temp?
                  How was everything connected when you did this test? Was everything hooked up, with exception to both lines to the engine block?

Hey, also on a side note, I saw you have your oil cooler mounted "upside-down" with the ports on the bottom and I have mine mounted the same way. I was wondering what are you getting for oil pressures @idle and WOT when everything has reached normal temp (warmed up)?

"A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"
                  instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: [email protected]

Comment

is your oil temp gauge verified to be working correctly? (i.e. was it installed prior to the oil cooler?)

duct tape some cardboard blockoffs to your cooler and see if the oil temp goes up...maybe the greddy is bypassing too much cold oil.

could also just be a bad oil T sender or gauge.

Comment

remember it's winter.. for street driving you don't need a cooler and will likely (as you are) run temps lower than optimum for performance. I'd cover the cooler with cardboard or something until it warms up and/or you get to the track.
                      Originally posted by SoSideways
                      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I have almost the exact same set up (setrab cooler but that doesn't matter). I was worried about it initially as well but I have run the car for a season now and have had no issues. In fact I feel it is still a bit hot when I am really on it for a few laps. I hit the 240 mark some times... and I am in Canada where the road surface does not hit 130!!

Comment

Originally posted by voiddweller View Post
                          Def - What do you think would be a reasonable size oil cooler for HPDE sessions?
                          Roughly 5" x 8" is more than enough.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.

The oil T gauge was installed at the same time so I have no prior history on it's accuracy or what my motor ran at as far as oil T's.

Cleantune- I'll keep an eye on pressure but I haven't noticed any big changes. Slightly over 25psi @ warm idle, and maxes out around 75psi. I've seen a lot of setups running ports on the bottom so I've never been concerned.

Big focus now on the car is front suspension but I'll try all the tricks mentioned. Next oil change I'll pull the sender and stick it in some boiling water.

Comment

Working...
                            X