SPL rear upright sphericals install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPL rear upright sphericals install

so I'm finally getting back on my s13 project, and this winter's plan is to put polyurethane in the trashcan where it belongs

I've got a full set of spherical arms coming, and am about to pull the trigger on a set of SPL rear upright bushings

any tips on putting them in? I still have the stock rubber bushings in my uprights, I also have a shop press but limited selection of cups and whatnot

ETA: if def has any set left I'd buy one instead, but looks like those are gone
    Last edited by maxtherabbit; 01-12-2015, 07:33 PM.

I actually do have some. Got the spares that were sitting at the machine shop.

It's for Z32 non-HICAS uprights only. Toe/traction/camber pivots. But I don't have any shock mounts.

As for pressing them out, I found 2 sockets that worked and it took no time on a bench vise. With a press it's even easier.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

so looks like I'm getting some dope defsport sphericals, z32 uprights, and z32 koni yellow rears

this is turning into a full rear suspension replacement...

do you guys think an extra hundred for the spl shock mount sphericals is worth it or just rock the rubber?

Comment

Get em.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The stock bushing has a sizable void in it. I'd get them. I think energy suspension used to have s bushing there, but it didn't come up in a quick search.

But my experience with poly in a highly loaded area is it creeps over time and the bushing dies due to high loads. Spherical will last a long time.

Comment

ok I'm sold. turning my $50 set of zilvian z32 uprights into $500 ones, but going from rubber bushed s13 iron uprights to fully spherical bushed forged aluminum ones is gonna be pure sex

Comment

They're cast aluminum, but OK.. :P

Use either stock or sphericals. I had a set of poly bushings in there and they were a nightmare to work on the car because the angles on an S-chassis are slightly off a Z. there's always about 10-20 deg of misalignment between the shock and the bushing, thus the poly bushings are ALWAYS in a bind. It's bad enough that it's noticable even making only that single change on a street car.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post

Use either stock or sphericals. I had a set of poly bushings in there and they were a nightmare to work on the car because the angles on an S-chassis are slightly off a Z. there's always about 10-20 deg of misalignment between the shock and the bushing, thus the poly bushings are ALWAYS in a bind. It's bad enough that it's noticable even making only that single change on a street car.
                oh that's lame, I could have sworn they were forged - maybe it's the fronts I was thinking of?

if the shock mount is always 10-20deg misaligned even in an s13, then the spherical seems well worth it over the rubber - poly was never an option

the only place I'm going to keep the poly in the suspension is the RLCA, getting sphericals everywhere else (except the FLCA - gonna go back to rubber there for the time being)
                Last edited by maxtherabbit; 01-13-2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

sounds like a good plan.
                  whiel you have everything apart, you might ream out the RLCA bushings just a touch so there's no bind in the urethane. clean them out just until they turn easily while bolted together but don't go so far as to introduce play into them.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

sounds like a good plan.
                    whiel you have everything apart, you might ream out the RLCA bushings just a touch so there's no bind in the urethane. clean them out just until they turn easily while bolted together but don't go so far as to introduce play into them.
                    yeah I definitely will

Comment

It's aligned on an S13. The S14 has a completely different rear shock angle.

Comment

so if I'm visualizing this correctly, the lower end of the shock would need to pivot with respect to the shock mount bushing over the suspension travel - so even if it's aligned perfectly at ride height you gain smoothness of travel with the spherical vs torquing the rubber

not to mention the lack of rubber compliance transferring forces directly to the shock and spring where they belong

Comment

Yeah basically. However, the angle of the rear upright to the shock mount really doesn't move that much once everything is on the car. your camber changes a couple degrees over the range of motion, but otherwise the knuckle moves almost straight up and down.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The shock mount does rotate, but the advantage of a spherical is transferring all wheel motion to the shock and spring.

The factory rubber bushing has a large void in the top of it.

Comment

so I'm looking at the z32 koni yellows to replace my s13 koni yellows in the rear:

the z32 ones have a circlip on the shock body like this:

however my s13 ones have a perch welded on like this:

I am using ground control coilover sleeves that were part of the s13 kit, they have a black spacer pressed inside the sleeve that sits on the welded perch

what do I need to do to move my ground control sleeves over to the new shocks?

from what I've found by searching, you need a piece that is machined with a groove to retain the circlip to sit on top of the clip like this:

should I be trying to order a ground control sleeve insert that is cut like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X