Accusump Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accusump Location

So I just bought a 2qt accusump kit and i was going to put it on the passenger floor but i wanted to occasionally go drag race since its only $30 for a wednesday night. but the rule is it cant be in the drivers compartment. i was going to put it between the front bumper and radiator support but i wanted to put it where i could distribute the weight better and put it in the trunk.

My main reason for the accusump was to avoid dry starts since I only start this car once maybe twice a week.

My question is if i put it in the trunk will it be useless as a way to get oil pressure for initial startup since the oil line from my trunk to remote oil filter will be long?

I have a 1991 240sx hatchback with a 2004 gto engine swap (s13 with ls1 swap)

The problem is that you need to be able to reach the valve (or have an electric one) in order to properly use an accusump.

manual valve and remote mounted tank necessitates either a helper at shutdown or you wind up not getting any benefits of the accusump. you could still use it for startup pre-lubing, but you have to find a way to fill the tank before you shut off the engine. usually that's done by revving the engine to build pressure and fill the tank, then you close the valve.

For SCCA, any fluids in the cabin must be enclosed behind metal-- thus if you use metal braided lines or mount a shield of some sort over the blue hoses in the cockpit, you're OK.. will that work for your local drag place? I would think that if they can see it's safe they might make an allowance for ya.

the other side of that is you could mount one more valve at the engine bay and close it off when you get there, shutting off any hydraulic pressure in the cabin and removing the danger..
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I have an electric valve, sorry i forgot to state that. Im going to call them and ask if having a metal enclosure is allowable.

Comment

mine is mounted pointing right to left directly in front of the passenger seat so it doesn't interfere with passenger legs. i've had students ride in my car and not question it so far

the canister (i have the 2qt as well) is pretty sizable once you take into account the valve (manual and driver reachable once unbuckled), pressure gauge, etc. if you go the front bumper route make sure you have ample space as i'd imagine the radiator and intercooler (if applicable?) would be hinderances. maybe a metal box would be best, or just place your floormat over it, lol

edit: just saw you have an ls1. should be fine to put it up front and use your electric valve.

Comment

so they wont allow it in the driver compartment. they said they follow nhra drag rules and i searched the rules up and it specificaly said no accusump in the driver compartment lol.

I think im going to put it on the passenger floor infront of the seat like you have gawdzilla but in a metal enclosed box and cut my spare carpet to fit flush over it and hope they dont notice (which i doubt since they never inspect thorough there anyway)

Comment

Would you mind to share the plumbing of your accusump? I need to install mine too and was told it's better to plug it in the LS oil galery, but I'm not so sure where it's located... Engine is already in the car and I didn't take the time to take a look at that last time it was out of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by clotuning View Post
              so they wont allow it in the driver compartment. they said they follow nhra drag rules and i searched the rules up and it specificaly said no accusump in the driver compartment lol.

I think im going to put it on the passenger floor infront of the seat like you have gawdzilla but in a metal enclosed box and cut my spare carpet to fit flush over it and hope they dont notice (which i doubt since they never inspect thorough there anyway)
              If it's in an enclosed metal box, would it still be in the driver compartment?

I don't see the difference between factory 18 ga sheet metal, and 18 ga sheet metal you add to block it off.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

If you put it in the trunk, I've seen some setups with a manual valve within reach of the driver; instead of the valve being at the tank its downstream on the hose, which would eliminate the need for an electric valve (if you wanted to go with the manual valve option)

#8 in this pic:
                http://www.redlinerennsport.com/IteriorRight.jpg

Oh and remember to mount the tank with the oil inlet/outlet end slightly higher than the other end (air side) too to help limit the chance of trapping air bubbles.

Last edited by cleantune; 01-25-2015, 10:54 AM.
                "A pessimist thinks the glass is half-empty, an optimist thinks the glass is half-full, an engineer says that glass is twice as big as it needs to be"
                instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: [email protected]

Comment

sorry it took long but with the storm and cold weather i was held back. Bare with me on the pictures because its freezing outside so i couldnt keep still

i decided to mount it behind the passenger seat (i gotta do something about that rust)

im going to route the line under the seat along the tranmission tunnel (still in side the cabin). i bought a bulk head fitting and put it right under where the a/c lines are routed. i used a 90 degree fitting so i can still keep the black box in there to keep my a/c and heat. Since the firewall is flat i had to hammer some areas to make sure the line and bulkhead didnt have any type of stress on it. heres the best pictures i could take.

cabin side

Engine side

Here you can see my filter location so the bulk head is farely close to it. maybe next weekend ill do the lines and know exactly how much feet i used.

Comment

make sure that 1/2" npt main fitting is tightened in well (don't ask how i know lol). It's hard to tighten cuz you don't want to dent up your accusump in a vice. i found the best way is to do it to use those vband clamps to hold the canister while you tighten it. holding the canister with your bare hands doesn't quite make a good seal on the npt fitting

Comment

'96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        or that, but he's already got the holder right there

Comment

I have three of them in my toolbox. :P

ProTip: If your oil filter is nasty dirty, don't try to use these to remove the filter. get the strap oily and they never work right again.

I have used the mounting brackets for these types of things and mounted them to my work bench as well, but that takes more time than just grabbing a strap wrench out of the toolbox.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                          X