KA24E Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA24E Parts

Okay so I have tried searching and can't find any concrete answers so I thought I might ask. Are there any places that sell racing parts, in particular, valve springs, retainers etc for the ka24E motors? Every place I have found only sells for the DE not the E. I finally got my cam back, one of the mechanical lifters broke at the last race and did some damage in the head. I am thinking that either it's going into bind or getting valve float. The head is at the machine shop now and I was just trying to put together a list of vendors in case one of the springs is bad etc. I did not build the head and the previous owner can't remember where he got the valve springs etc. Oh, max lift is .500 Thanks in advance.

Dan Rolfe

Dan,
    Joel's EP engine has around the same lift as yours-- just under max lift for EP. That cam is hhuuuge.

He also did a solid lifter conversion on his. my guess is all that came from Nissan Motorsports back in the day.

BTW, if you need another big honkin cam for that thing, let me know. (it's too big for EP after the last rule change about 5 years ago, but possibly could be ground down and re-nitrided..) maybe it'll be legal for GT3?
    just sitting in the garage so it needs to go somewhere before it rusts to pieces.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I remember back from my sohc-t days that O&J performance made solid lifters for the single cam.

https://www.ojperformance.com/

Comment

Matt,

It is a big cam. We did some work with it to get more lobe separation by cutting the base circles, it really woke the motor up. I have a spare set of the mechanical lifters but trying to figure out what "caused" them to break in the first place, previous owner said he never had a problem with them. This is the third one that "broke"......well the other two were on the verge of breaking and I thought I was over tightening the securing nut. Unfortunately this time it did break before I could catch it. My guess is that it is either going into bind or the springs are weak causing valve float. The cam lobes were a little worn when I sent it back to Elgin. How is the RX7 coming along?

Dan

Comment

I found OJ and yes they do make the mechanical lifters, thanks for the lead.

Dan

Comment

With that size of cam, it could also just be fatigue on the lifters. how old are these parts? just noting that those are some of the most stressed parts of the valvetrain, so they're likely going to have issues.

The cam I have is from Lazer cams. My understanding is the owner (or the guy that did those cams) passed away a few years ago and the company has since gone downhill. not sure who Joel uses now- he might still just be using the same set of cams he's had in the last few engines.

You could also be having some valve float issues as well. what RPM are you running it to? Jowl says he hardly ever goes above about 6500, usually only 6000 since the thing starts dropping power and it starts to shake itself to death above that. mostly in hopes of keeping bearings in the bottom end more than a few races!

I was hoping to have the RX7 ready for the race at TWS this weekend, but the guy that was working on my transmission damaged the input shaft, and it's now in Germany getting the end re-splined. I bought a Mazdacomp transmission because parts were readily available for it.
            only after tearing it down and putting $1000 of work into it did I find out that Mazda only made 25 of *this version* back in 1996 and haven't stocked parts since 2000. So I have a fawking unicorn of a transmission.. the shaft is currently at some machine shop in Germany with a guy that restores historic F1 cars and is used to custom machining heavy duty stuff for them.. (he screwed it up and misread a dimension while converting Miata shaft to RX7 and cut the thing 3/4" too short.. At least he's taking the responsibility to fix it.)..

Anyway, I should have the thing back in a couple weeks and I'll finish assembling the car. If it's goign to be too much longer, I'll find a stock 13B transmission to throw in it and hope it can take the power for a couple races. With luck, I'll have it together and tuned for the December race.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You should check out the SOHC section of ka-t.org more, there's a lot of information that might help you over there.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51137

lol The thread's title is "Head Build (a whole lot of random info and parts) IN ONE!!!"

Comment

Working...
              X