Instrument cluster attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument cluster attachment

Does anyone have their cluster attached to the bars under the dash? If so can you post a description/pics of your setup?

My cluster came with the broken top mount (the white piece on top on the following photo):

I had it zip tied through the bottom holes but this is not ideal. I want to get rid of the dash completely to save weight, and my dash is gutted to the point where it does not look like the cluster really attaches to anything anyway.

Looking for some inspiration.
    winhpde.com

I broke that top mount mount off mine and just used a small strip of aluminum sheet to bend a bracket the shape of the old mounting tab and attached it with some small sheet metal screws to the top of the cluster.

I still have the dash in my car, but it's completely gutted. required to keep the dash cover "for stock appearance" per SCCA STU class rules.

I think the whole thing on an S14 weighs about 10-12lbs. it's a chunk of weight, but it's really not that much in the grand scheme of things. If you're allowed to remove it and never going back, then go for it. Just weld up some mounting tabs and screw them into the white plastic parts with a few sheet metal screws. you can pull the front cover off and see where the internal clearances are so you don't wind up putting a screw into something necessary.

You will also want to paint the top of the housing black because that white part becomes an annoying reflection on the windshield while driving. paint it flat black and you'll be much happier.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yea, I'd just weld up some 16 Ga sheet metal with some nuts of some sort. Bonus points for using MS nut plates.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I'll be the Anti-Def. Plumbers strapping tape and JB weld.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I don't have a welder unfortunately.

I weighed my dash (what remains of it) and it is indeed 10 lbs. The dash is cut and partially replaced with aluminum though. I am more concerned with weight than with keeping it in the car. Pretty sure I don't need a dash for NASA ST.

Thanks for the white/black tip, will keep it in mind.
          Last edited by minspd; 10-30-2014, 08:29 PM.
          winhpde.com

Comment

A 120V MIG is absolutely indispensable when working on a car, and it's pretty easy to get decent at it. I'd highly recommend one. I use my fairly often.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
            X