S14 Door Cards / door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 Door Cards / door panels

Most folks with S14's know that the molded plastic door panels tend to crack with age. Good used examples go for $300-400 for a pair on Fleabay. I got lucky recently and picked up a pair in decent shape from a local junkyard for a good price. Looking on the back of the panels, it lists the material as PPX.

I looked it up and found several descriptions;

Here it's described as an alloy of polyphenylene and polypropylene, going by the name of Noryl.
    https://www.sabic-ip.com/gep/Plastic.../norylppx.html

Here it's described as an alloy of polyphelynene and polystyrene
    http://www.prlresins.com/index.php/p...s/ppe-ps-resin

My 2006 Dodge Dakota has white plastic molded backings for the door cards and I've had to patch the arm rest on that one as well.

Has anyone tried using bracing, foam, or fiberglass resin to reinforce or repair the panels? The pair I have look good for now, but suspect they'll crack shortly without some form or reinforcement or treatment.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

don't lean on them in corners and don't kick the door open, and you won't have much of a problem cracking the panels.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Thanks Matt, I knew I could count on you..., ;-)
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

Comment

Mr Common Sense to the rescue. :P
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I've repaired them using 3M plastic epoxy. It's tedious but as strong as the original material so far. (This is assuming you have cracks, or chunks that have fallen out and can be fit back into the panel.) Missing chunks I'd assume you could use lexan or some other plastic cut to shape to patch the backside of the panel.

Comment

Working...
          X