ls1 rear end options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ls1 rear end options

I'm curious to know what any of you ls1 swapped guys have as your differential. I was considering buying the s15 lsd and installing it in my stock final drive gear (4.083) is this going to be to high for highway driving?

Has anyone else tried something else they like?

The OEM 4.08:1 ratio is going to be a little short for cruising with the LS motor. Most pony cars start around 3.27:1.

The R200 is strong enough if you can find a good R&P ratio. The Honda S2K crowd likes to swap the R200 into their cars when boosting.

The newer R200 diffs from 350Z/370Z/G35/Pathfiners, etc come with some taller gears, but they use bigger pinion bearings and are about 1/2" wider than the 240sx versions. The early J30 R200V diffs came with a 3.55:1 and will fit the 240sx chassis, but they have a bastard spline count and you can't buy an aftermarket LSD for it.

http://www.nicoclub.com/Greg/ratios.html
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

4.08 is fine for highway driving with the T56 as long as you're not running silly small diameter tires. On 265/35R18 street tires I would only see about 1800-1850rpm at 65mph in 6th gear.

Comment

Originally posted by icantdrift View Post
        4.08 is fine for highway driving with the T56 as long as you're not running silly small diameter tires. On 265/35R18 street tires I would only see about 1800-1850rpm at 65mph in 6th gear.
        Good point. He didn't say what transmission and I forgot about the .6 overdrive in the T56.
        Don Johnson (really!)
        Just so you know.

Comment

JDM S14 & S15 manual transmission Silvias had an LSD with 3.692 as the final drive ratio if I remember correctly.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
          96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
            JDM S14 & S15 manual transmission Silvias had an LSD with 3.692 as the final drive ratio if I remember correctly.
            I think that ratio only came with 6-speed equipped s15's
            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
              I think that ratio only came with 6-speed equipped s15's
              Just checked the FSM, the JDM S14 Manual is a 3.692

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

? did s14's come with a 6-speed over there? that would be a horrible ratio for the 5-speed SR trans...like super horrible
                I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

No 6 speed. That's just what the FSM says, doesn't say why, ha ha.

Comment

The NA s14 come with 3.6

Comment

It would be pretty long in the low gears, but a 0.83 5th wouldn't be that horrible on a 3.6x. It'd be slow, but not like a 3.6 and a .759 5th.
                      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by clotuning View Post
                        I'm curious to know what any of you ls1 swapped guys have as your differential. I was considering buying the s15 lsd and installing it in my stock final drive gear (4.083) is this going to be to high for highway driving?

Has anyone else tried something else they like?
                        Hi there clotuning,

I've been using an R200 in my rear end for quite some time now. As has been mentioned already, the factory 4.08 is quite short for highway cruising. It's great for other things, but this site isn't focused on drag racing or drifting so having something more akin to what I've done is preferable.

I purchased a Q45 differential out of one of the cars that had a 3.69 rear gear, and installed it. You have to redrill the holes in the flange that mounts to the driveshaft and install 5 bolt J30 axles and then you're all set.

I took the car on Hot Rod Power Tour, and the car was much more bearable at highway cruising speeds and is much more composed/planted when rowing through the gears.

I have a build thread on GRM that I may duplicate for this website at some point, but until then here is the link for that:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...e/53359/page1/

Comment

If you want to think outside the box... I'm in the process of swapping a ford 8.8" differential from an explorer into my RX7.

you can get any ratio you want for $200 new.

LSDs are like $400-600 (or free with the diff)

it's pretty ridiculous

The only problem is mounting it and coming up with an driveshaft and axle solution...
                          '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                          '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                          '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                          '81 BMW R65

Comment

I recently helped put a 8.8 in the back of 350Z, set it up to use cobra IRS axles, it was pretty badass when finally setup correctly for the half shaft lengths.
                            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

I had an S15 HLSD with the stock 4.08 and we did not get along on track, way too short. I was banging off the rev limiter all over the place because it didn't make sense to shift into 5th a second before I had to downshift to 3rd before a corner. I went with an OS Giken 1.5 way LSD and a 3.55 from a Q45. I decided on that over the 3.69 after doing some MPH/RPM calculations and taking into account the tracks I drive. I'm very happy with my choice; I feel it's a perfect fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X