Death wobble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death wobble.

I haven't posted on here in s long time but I need your help because you guys seem to have the best understanding of actual performance. I have been fighting a death wobble situation with my car all year and it's finally undrivable. I have replaced pretty much everything yet it still has progressively gotten worse thru out the year. As of right now I have replaced steering rack. Rack bushings. Inners. Outers. Ball joints. Control arms. Control arm bushings. Tried factory tension rods. Swapped wheels several times. I'm lost. Wheel bearings are tight. I feel like the rack has more play than it should inside but swapping it out made zero change from my last one. The only thing that made any difference at all is wheels but it's only slightly better. If I hit a bump it just goes violently out of control shake.

Any ideas would he great.
    -1994 Ford Lightning SVT #3780
    -1993 Nissan 240sx, 2jz 6766 faceplated tko600

Can you describe the symptoms more?

Car just goes goofy over bumps?

What's your alignment?

Comment

Alighnment has been a couple different ways. Granted it's just a string and tape measure alignment. I even purposely toed it in and out a bit to see if that changed anything and it didn't.

It's like a jeep death wobble. Hit a bump. Usually a sewer cover. Or a small pot hole in the road and the steering wheel violently shakes I have to slams on the brakes and get it down to like 10-20 miles per hour to clear it up. It basically feels like I'm swearing the wheel back and forth as hard and fast as I can. Very dangerous. It's hard to control.

Comment

Blown shock?
        Have you looked at the rear of the car at all?

Have someone follow you down the street and watch what's happening. Sometimes its easier to see from outside.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

No play when you do the 9-3 12-6 test on the wheels including the rears?

How do your rear subframe bushings look? Rear upright bushings? Rear arm bushings?
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Honestly since the shake is so much in the front/steering wheel I haven't even jacked the tar up to check anything. I'll def do that tonight.

My coil overs are pretty old and have 40k+ miles in them. They aren't leaking but that doesn't prove much. I'll try screwing with the dampening. Or I'm sure I can get my hands on another set to try.

Comment

Is it a vibration wobble, or is it in the steering itself? like the wheels are trying to turn on you and forcing the steering each way?

Steering rack plumbed backwards?
              bent wheels?
              REALLY unbalanced tires?
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

It's in the steering wheel itself. It's not a vibration at all. Its like putting big tires and a lift in a jeep. Hit s bump and it just uncontrollably forces the steering wheels back and forth. The rack is not plumbed backwards bc ibe been driving it like this for years.

I thought about this when/tire issues since one of my wheels is slightly bent. I swapped to my race wheels which are just 17s with Hoosiers on them and it made very little if any difference.

I have a friend that willing to let me borrow his brand new front coil overs so I'll start there I guess.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Do the 12-6 test for wheel play... your struts could have excessive play in bending, so your suspension essentially has a "hinged link" instead of a strut.

Comment

Brakes? how's your rotors look? any spots on the surface? calipers mounted securely and straight so there's no grabbing or movement when you step on the pedal?

bad wheel bearings could be a culprit as Def is suggesting, but you generally hear growling noises with them.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I was actually narrowing it down to the struts, as he says the wheel bearings are tight. If the struts have play in bending it'll cause the wheel to change camber and toe as it flops around.

Comment

true. I glazed over that part, even though I read it and agree.

even strut bolts could be loose. I had some 'crash bolts' on an old Maxima once and they just couldn't hold enough clamping load to keep the strut in place. they would move under a hard corner, causing the camber to change several degrees every time I turned. scary as fawk when it happens on an off ramp and you don't know which way the car is going to steer.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

So I put on a set of known good set of springs and struts on it today and it made zero difference. I guess my next option is to try a known good set of wheels and tires. These Hoosiers haven't bern used in a while so it's hard to know if they are perfect. I'm gonna steal my mothers mustang wheels.

Comment

won't take long to swap a couple and try it...
                            while you're doing that, do the shake thing like Def said and look for anything that isn't 100% solid. there's absolutely no reason that a shake./vibration that bad shouldn't be plainly obvious once you jack the car up.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Crossmember tight? LCA holes not all egged out?

Comment

Working...
                              X