Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trackday Brake Pad recommendations??

Hello

Just looking for a little insight on some track day pads. From what I am seeing, for a full weight S14 chassis, a set of either DTC60 ot 70 on the fronts will do well, but for the rearm there have been more than a few recommendations.

Not sure how much brake pad I would like on the rear (and may possibly grab a set of proper ceramics and call it good) and I am still on street rubber, so not sure where to go from there.

Any recommendations and Jacob, PM me a price from your recommendations (which seemingly are DTC60/70 and DTC 30s) shipped to 20740.

Thanks!

If you've got Z32 rears, I'd recommend DTC-30's, HP+ at a minimum. Or maybe their new Street/Race 5.0 compound, but I've got no direct experience with them.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks Jacob

I pmed you!
      And to answer the question: Yes, I have Z32 rears

Comment

Gotcha, I'll shoot you some info tomorrow sometime.

Comment

I'll second that. just bought some DTC-30s for the rear of mine as well and another set of DTC-70 for the front. yaay.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
            I'll second that. just bought some DTC-30s for the rear of mine as well and another set of DTC-70 for the front. yaay.
            With the Wilwood setup, I just started using HT10 pads in the front. The DTC-60s were way to aggressive on the rotors for some of these northeast tracks. HT10 were fine and stopped great... I didn't experience any fade with them throughout the day.

I have carbotech XP8 in the rear, but they are almost done, so I'm just going to throw some HT10 pads in there too and see how it goes.

I might try Carbotech again at some point.
            97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

The HT-10 did fine for me temp-wise, but wear was faster than the DTC-60 or 70 sicne I was closer to their upper thermal limit..

Since I'm running a manual pedal setup, I also want all the friction I can get to help keep pedal effort low and to balance the over-active rears. (It's fine on flat ground, but braking downhill tends to lock the rear no matter what I do to the bias adjuster.)

I have a set of Raybestos ST-47 in the toolbox I might try next. When I called Porterfield and told them I needed more friction than the DTC-70, they told me the ST-47 is the meanest stuff they have-- NASCAR uses this compound on the short tracks if that says much about them..
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

DTC 60/30 combo procured. It looks like the HT10 was a bit harsher on the rotors within it's temp range than the DTC. Trackday is next weekend, so will report back on how they worked.

I am still on street tires (NT05s) with a crappy tire stagger (245/275......don't ask ), so we will see how it goes.

Thanks again all!

Comment

Well just an update: It all went well! I heard people had trouble modulating the brake pedal but I felt these were perfect for my driving style with the 17/16 BMC. I prefer a little harder pedal as my driving style is simply "light on the feet", so I prefer only small amounts of pedal travel (which also helps with my heel and toe situation).

Overall, GREAT purchase!

Comment

I'm glad it worked out. When I was heel toeing with the 17/16ths MC, I would lock the front inside wheel for a second when I blipped the throttle. I was used to more pedal travel. Or too much toe, not enough heel.

The 1" MC isn't worlds apart, just a bit more travel, still pretty stiff.
                    Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                    TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

My 2 cents, I've been running hawk blues pads with brembo blank rotors and wilwood 570 fluid for years now with no issues what so ever. I drive a s13 with a built na ka and run in tt and de4 with nasa.

Comment

Been using endless circuit compund for years, even get away with mx72 depending on weather and where/what its used for specifically.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk 2
                        sigpic

Comment

@ pitchlock - My S14s additional weight and possibly more than twice the WHP of your KA means the blues may not be quiet capable of standing up to my demands.

@ johnch - I have a feeling Endless doesn't make a pad for the Wilwoods (Superlite) and even if they did, they are probably "JDM" expensive and not easily attained.

Comment

Hard to beat DTC-60s for the price/performance ratio.

You just need to rebed them after driving them on the street any before hitting the track. They are fine on the street as long as you're not dailying them. Rotor wear when cold is moderate to high, and the pads are expensive to burn through just scraping around. But they're definitely not dangerous on the street IMO.

Comment

So in continuation to what Jacob said:

I have a separate set of pads/rotors for the street and track. Brand new Front/Rear Rotors (front Brembo 350z/ Rear 300ZX) with the DTC 60 in front and DTC 30 in the rear. Bedded them in and drove them to the track. During cold temps (Ambient temp was in the 50-60 F range on the way up). The brakes work perfectly fine while cold and displayed intital bite BETTER than my street pads (Hawk HPSs) and better pedal feel. Loud as a banshee however during low speed stuff (which, if you are complaining about, then DON'T run race pads on the street.............)

So I am not worried about rebedding in rotors/pads between track days. Just swap them out and go. However, to reduce the work load, I may just swap between track/street pads only and rebed as I see fit and continue on my way.

Comment

Working...
                              X