Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on Keeping the Cockpit cool??

When I had the gearbox removed, I decided to do a few things

1) I installed a good amount of heat reflective thermal mat in the gearbox tunnel, all along the driver's and passenger side rail and had some tape installed right up to the brake booster
    2) I installed fiberglass wrap on the downpipe and the O2 housing.

However, even with these measures, the cockpit doesnt get super hot, but still much hotter than I would prefer.

Any ideas on what else I can install to keep cockpit temps down??
    Thanks!

Tomei Mani (SS/no wrapped)
    S15 turbo
    Tomei Outlet (SS/wrapped)
    3 " SS downpipe (SS/wrapped)

I would wrap the exhaust to the Test Pipe.
    But if you live where it snows or rains a lot I'd refrain from doing that as it'll collect water.
    Also I would put reflective tape along the entire Exhaust route, as I've noticed a lot of heat can carry from the Trunk/Hatch area where the Rear Muffler is.

Comment

What I noticed is the heat is transferring right through the drivers side floorpan/frame rail along where the exhaust is routed. I have heat shielding/reflective shield along the lines of the rails and gearbox right until the tailshaft of the gearbox.

The exhaust is only wrapped until cat, so I may end up going all the way.

Comment

The cat area is where it gets hottest... don't know if I'd wrap it, but at least put some heat shielding above it.

What are you using for heat reflective/shielding material?
        http://www.designengineering.com/cat...und-insulation

That's what I've got on the floor of my car and it went from melt-my-shoes-hot (seriously) to only uncomfortable-hot with one layer from the trans tunnel to frame rail and firewall to rear edge of driver's seat. Basically I bought the largest sheet they sold, then cut it up to make it fit. I think it was $80 or so..
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I'm using the same stuff as Matt^^^. Lining the trans tunnel and the small heat shield behind where the gas pedal is. I'll be putting more above where the exhaust runs and also lining the larger heat shield above the cat.

I would get some decent heat down by my feet after a long trip, but nothing of the sorts now. The trans tunnel is barely warm to the touch after driving over and hour, or tracking the car. I do have full interior though.

IG: l_fitzhenry

Comment

Ya.. mine used to be "warm" when I had carpet. Then I stripped the interior and my shoes farking melted within 5 laps on track. FAWKIN HOT!!
            I wrapped my leg and shoe with a towel to finish the day, then started working on heat treatment.

This time of year is the only time it really bothers me now- after about 25+ min on track in 100+ temps is when it starts to get annoying. Then again, I don't drive it to and from the track. it would get stupid annoying if I were driving it this hot on my way to the track.
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Matt, the heat shield I used is a Thermo-Tec one from amazon

Thermo-Tec

I may try to order some of your stuff and do the cat portion of the tunnel. I cannot remember if I did it already, but I am pretty sure I went right back to the output of the gearbox along both sides of the tunnel.

Now, its not super hot (but it does get warm after spirited driving), but I feel after 30+ mins of constant pumping of heat through the surface, it will start transmitting more and more heat once the metal has reach it's limit of absorption.
              Last edited by RalliartRsX; 09-03-2014, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Looks to be very similar stuff.

Nothing wrong with adding another layer of it around the really hot parts, as long as you have the space. My exhaust sits about 1/4" away from it and it still holds up. turbo-hot exhaust may be a different story, but I don't have a problem with it unless I have direct contact and then it rubs through. In those places, I just replace the stuff about once a year or so.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I am going to order another set and double it up. Will report back in a few days once I get it all sorted.

Cheers for the recommendations!

Comment

I just blistered my right heel last weekend. Need to figure out something quick that mat seems like it would work great. I was thinking of putting one on the inside as well.

Comment

in the foot box area I layed up the floor from the cat forward and across the trans tunnel. this is all interior and I still have the carpet in place. I considered getting those race shoes with the heat reflective material on them.

Comment

You will wear thru the mat with enough time rubbing against your shoes. Its got an aluminum backing on it, but its not terribly tough. Put a layer or two under the car and see where that gets you.

You can also search for used NASCAR parts and they have a fabric-based mat with snaps you mount to the tunnel and floor.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I've been thinking about keeping the carpet intact from the front seat mount bolts forward for this very reason. Seems like a PITA to take the carpet out then try to replace it with heat removing stuff.
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

For a street car, sure. The last thing I want in my car is **** that will relatively easily burn right under my wiggly bits.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Well, it's still driven on the street from time to time.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X