Running long oil cooler lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running long oil cooler lines?

I'm trying to avoid the sin of running my 8x11" TruCool heat exchanger in line with my FMIC and radiator. Anyone see a problem with mounting it in front of the driver's side wheel well with associated long -10 feed and return lines?

I understand that this configuration puts even more weight on the nose, esp. the worst corner to add weight to, but space is even more limited on the passenger side. I have my remote filter mount along the passenger side frame rail, so I'd be adding about 3 feet of line to feed and 3.5 to return from the oil cooler.

Sure you don't have room on the passenger side? You can angle the cooler quite a bit with no hit in cooling. Duct in and out to gain more efficiency and reduce drag.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I should've gone with the smaller cooler. 8x11 is the size of just the core, then npt-a/n adapter fittings and hose ends add another 3" to the height. A last ditch mockup last night seems to have yielded a solution, albeit with much intermingling of oil cooler and IC cold piping.

Much angling was needed indeed, some bumper ducting and maybe even a naca duct in the bottom anterior portion of the fender may be in the near future, although the wheel well opening is going to have to do for heat exit. Thanks.

Comment

You can angle the duct heavily then go straight out the fender in front of the wheel well there.

Thought about getting a slightly smaller core?

Comment

Yeah, when I mocked it up I had to angle it away from the frame rail, mirroring the angle of the tire with the wheel at full lock. It's also tilted back quite a bit as well. Bracketing this monster should be interesting.

I might have exchanged the core for the smaller option, but I already installed the adapters into this one with sealant, banged it around, etc. so there's no turning back now. At least this bigger unit will have greater heat rejection capability if I can direct enough airflow to it.

Comment

Yea, mine is angled at about a 45 deg angle to fit in front of the passenger front tire, but it's shorter so it's straight up and down.

I need to duct air in and out of it (3d printer project whenever mine finally gets delivered).

Comment

Working...
            X