Front Tow strap location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Tow strap location

I hate to create new thread for simple questions likes these... didn't find a old thread i could revive to just add this info so i guess i'll have to ask this here.

For reasons of tired of stupid tow truck drivers breaking my lips and having to remove the splitter i'm constructing in emergency cases, i decided to use a tow strap up front. But the ones i got are short for the way i thought i would install it, the only way that i can install it is here (picture is from google and mine is a s13 but same bolt as circled):

The bolt there is small so im not sure i can tow front that part, but i could drill a hole in that area also without it bothering my oil cooler or intercooler setup, does anybody have any experience or knowledge of how strong this part of the front end really is?

Just want some input before i go and buy a longer tow strap and put this on my other car or keep using it as a key lanyard.

That's just about the weakest part of the chassis to pull from. one good yank from a tow truck and it'll collapse the core support.

you would be better off attaching to the frame "rails" on either corner.

How often is your car breaking down that you need tow truck drivers to pull on it that often? 10 years of tracking/racing my car and only once have I been towed off track.. Maybe you should work on reliability as well as find a sturdy tow strap location?
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

yeah i was planning on attaching it to the "rails" but the strap i have is short, i guess i'll use it for something else and order a longer one, just wanted some opinions before i ordered. I knew it was weak but wanted to make sure it wasn't just my opinion and i was overthinking. Thanks!

Well my car in 10 years has only broken down 3 times, those have been during daily drives (100+ miles daily), but those 3 times tow truck drivers 2 times broke my lip and 1 bent the intercooler. Since the stock tow hooks up front are covered by the splitter now and i got a fiberglass lip this time, just wanted a option of being able to tow it from the strap faster. I decided the strap cause i could hide it better than those "jdm" metal tow hooks that always stick out and are a hazard for other cars/people.

Comment

Here's the tow hook I'm using..
        https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=5178

mine sits inside the edge of the front bumper so it's not going to do damage to anyone else's car or shins.
        http://blehmco.com/pics/track_pics/t...ep/DSC3464.jpg

I used a piece of 3/4" tubing and welded that to the frame to give it something sturdy to bolt into. voila.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

that's more like i was interested in originally, i would have to check where to put it so it doesn't bother the ducting i was planning for the cooling setup.

Thanks for the answer and the links! If i find it doesn't interfere with anything i'll probably use that same one.

Comment

Working...
          X