Transmission tunnel reworking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission tunnel reworking

Has anyone done this. (I assume someone has). What gauge steel did you use? I have 16 gauge steel sitting around and planned to use it. The reason I wanna cut it out and make it more accommodating is to make engine/transmission entrance and removal easier. Also I'd like to clean it all up and make it simple for my hydraulic brake and pro portioning valve.

You're inventing work, at least with the KA tranny.. pull it off the engine, give it about 1/8 turn for the starter hump to clear, yank it out. not hard.
    maybe the SR is harder....
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

From someone who has built a tunnel - don't! Unless you're pulling the tranny in the pits every race and need to save a few seconds....

I'd imagine it would put you into a lot of classes you'd rather not be in as well.

Just make some nice brackets and build some yard art with the rest

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
        You're inventing work, at least with the KA tranny.. pull it off the engine, give it about 1/8 turn for the starter hump to clear, yank it out. not hard.
        maybe the SR is harder....
        The SR is even easier if I remember right. The trans is more "flat" at the top of the bellhousing so it fits the tunnel shape a little better. I've never had any trouble getting a trans out other than trying to not get crushed by the heavy arse Nissan trans (just harkening back to the <60 lb E36 M3 trans thoughts).
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

With a proper jack (read: tranny jack), removing the tranny after all the bolts are removed is a simple matter of tug, locate it on the stand, and turn a knob slowly to tlower the jack while sliding back since (as Def said), the top is essentially flat to allow for this in the SR.

Takes me less than 2 minutes with the jack to pull and lower tranny. Maybe an extra min or two with a KA at the most.

Also, dont forget however to either
          a) Lower the subframe for more room or
          b) loosen engine mounts to tilt the back of the engine back
          c) Just do both for lots of room/clearance.

The tranny jack also works wonders for installation as well as its essentially the same (but reverse) process.

Comment

the hump for the KA starter makes it a little more difficult, but still not bad. I've done it enough in the last year that I can pretty much get the trans out in 5 min once everything else is clear. I don't loosen the engine mounts either. when I put the trans back in, I'll have someone rock the engine while I'm stabbing the trans and it goes right together. the only difficult part is getting the trans in place with the car on jack stands.. there's just barely enough clearance to get the trans under the car while it's on the jack, then rotate it so the right side is up and start lifting into place.
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I used 16ga when making clearance for my Muncie, you may want to go a little thinner 18 or 20ga. I made some incisions in the stock tunnel, hammered it open, and patched it with 16ga. Mine looks rough because I dont care, but it works. Welding into the firewall was tricky. IIRC it was 2 thin layers of steel with a heat resistant (can burn while welding) mat in between.

Comment

For the people rotating trannies, in all honesty, if you had a transmission jack, it jacks it up at the appropriate position/angle, so you don't have to rotate it or any of that. It's especially convenient if you only have yourself working on a tranny/clutch/etc swap.

Comment

The problem is that you MUST rotate the trans in order to get it to clear the opening. IIRC, the starter hump hits the trans tunnel on the right side and the clutch lever runs into the fuel & brake lines. If you rotate the trans 1/6 turn or so, it all clears just fine and the trans comes back far enough to lower it strsight down.
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Never had to do it (since the top of the SR trans is flat) for the SR swap.

The SR trans is a slightly different desgin to the than the KA.

Comment

Not sure how much clearance between the block and firewall is there for the SR tranny, but the KA trans can't come down once it's pulled unless you either rock the engine forward a LONG way or you rotate the thing. since I do this job by myself 95% of the time, I just rotate the trans and be done with it.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

from that photo, it actually looks worse for the SR, but it could be at a funky angle or something. don't know.

I'm also not sure how much clearance between the block and firewall is there for the SR tranny, but the KA trans can't come down once it's pulled unless you either rock the engine forward a LONG way or you rotate the thing. since I do this job by myself 95% of the time, I just rotate the trans and be done with it.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

The starter hole is moved around the circumference a few inches on the KA vs the SR.

It may look bad (since it seems the top protrusions extends into the side of the passenger's footwell), but once the mounts and subframe bolts are pulled, both lowered and the engine canted forward, I could simply jack it right into place and when removing, pull it back while I have the jack on a slow decrease (the release BARELY opened).

It was much easier than I expected.

Comment

kinda similar on mine, but my tranny jack is a screw-type. no hydraulic lowering available... once I get the trans in place, I'll rock the engine with my feet while shoving the trans in place. it usually works within a couple tries. If not, I go drink a beer to give me some liquid strength and try again.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You can stab the SR trans right in. It's contour follows the trans tunnel much better than the KA trans which has the starter hole hanging out where the trans tunnel starts sloping down quickly.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X