Plugging/Adapting BSPT to NPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugging/Adapting BSPT to NPT

So I picked up a couple NPT female to BSPT male adapters to use on my Tomei oil block. I opted for stainless steel over the brass Autometer offerings for strength, but either way I seem to end up with a big sender just hanging way out there in space. There are 6 adapter threads engaged into the oil block and 4 sender threads engaged into the adapter when everything's snugged up, however.

I have semi-solid engine mounts and solid poly tranny mount, and the NVH is...substantial.

What do y'all use?

I also tried BSPP hardware to compare, and the adapter offers even less thread engagement on both ends. I suppose the four threads on the BSPP hex head bolt would be enough to block off extra ports, however (the allen head set screw in the pic is the one that came with the Tomei oil block). Amirite?
    Attached Files

My autometer sender is remote mounted behind the passenger strut tower with a -3an line running to it.

Sending is mounted to car with an adel clamp.

Comment

I would run a -3 or -4 line out to the sender and mount it on the unibody somewhere.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Not sure where you're located, but I just took my stuff to Midwest Hose (they do oil field and hydraulic stuff) and told them how long I needed the hose.

I think it was around 12-15 bucks and has crimped adapters on each end. Just a warning if you go somewhere like that, they will laugh at you when you tell them what psi it will be used for. I guess anything under 600psi just never goes across their desk, haha.

Comment

You can use Pushlok hose and it's really simple to put together and get exactly the right length.

Comment

Drill and tap the Tomei to 3/8NPT and use a reducer?
            She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

I am facing the same issue with the tomei oil block and AEM 1/8 npt filters. I read that you can tap 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT easily. Is that wrong?

http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=43001.15

Comment

Originally posted by Epstein View Post
                Drill and tap the Tomei to 3/8NPT and use a reducer?
                Not enough material, 3/8" NPT is big.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
                  I am facing the same issue with the tomei oil block and AEM 1/8 npt filters. I read that you can tap 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT easily. Is that wrong?

http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=43001.15
                  I went to the local hydraulic supply place looking for BSPT to NPT stuff, and the old guy behind the counter said that 1/8" female BSPT can be successfully re-threaded to 1/8" NPT in aluminum because the NPT is slightly larger and the aluminum will re-form to some extent.

I've worked around quite a bit of hydraulics and know the difference between BSPP, SAE, JIC, JIS, AN, etc. I quizzed him enough to feel confident he knew the subject matter.
                  Don Johnson (really!)
                  Just so you know.

Comment

I didn't even bother tapping mine. I just put 4-5 wraps of Teflon tape on mine and ran it in. No leaks in 6 years.
                    Originally posted by SoSideways
                    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I was also thinking of using a M18x1.5 sleeve in the extra port on my Greddy remote oil filter mount to plug in the oil pressure sender or even the temp sender. I think that ultimately this is a less than ideal location for either sender, however.

It's good to hear that retapping bspt to npt or just putting it in like a man has been working. I do like the ability to isolate the sender a bit from vibration through remote mounting as well. Thanks for the input, fellas.

Comment

You'll have less vibrations mounting it to a 200lb hunk of iron than you will anywhere else on the car...
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Nope, engine vibrations kill pressure transducers all the time. Most the high frequency vibrations come from the engine.

Comment

He never said what frequencies.

In the >100kHz range, sure I can see that. in the <1kHz range, it will be better bolted to the block.
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

You've been working with electrons for too long. Anything over about 250-500 Hz is considered "pretty high frequency" for mechanical stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X